Viasat wifi modem disables wifi on reboot or power cycle

Thanks Nathalia. I’ll let you know if anything changes.

-Ron

1 Like

With this issue, why do I need a technician? The Wi-Fi Modem was a self-install upgrade from the SurfBeam 2. Why can’t I just have a new unit sent to me and I’ll install it and return the original unit?

Hi @Ronman68 ,

All modem swaps require a tech visit to also repoint and peak your antenna – the only exceptions being upgrades, like your previous swap.

Okay, I didn’t realize that the tech was going to also check the antenna. My current RX SNR is 10.00, so it shouldn’t need much.

1 Like

Hi, @Ronman68,

I see that the visit was completed on 7 Dec. How is the system now?

@Ronman68,

One last thing: if you usually watch videos with your Viasat internet, you might like the new feature called Data Saver. It’s still experimental, but it already helped a lot of customers save data.

The Data Saver basically reduces the bandwidth for video downloads, you can learn more about it in this post: Announcing the Data Saver Feature Experiment!

To sign up for the feature, you just need to fill out this form: https://forms.gle/pdgvMoFk4iRkBGei8 (then let us know here in the forum)

I cancelled the service call. To keep the wi-fi enabled after reboot, the Network Mode has to be set to Mixed. I had it set to Wireless-N only.

Hi @Ronman68 ,

I see!

Have you confirmed that this has fixed your Wi-Fi issue upon reboot?

If so, I’ll be marking your reply as the Solution :white_check_mark: for future reference, in case we find another customer with this problem, as it was previously unknown to us. :slight_smile:

Yes, with the Network Mode set to mixed, the modem can be rebooted by removing power or using the My Viasat app and wi-fi always comes back. I did this several times by both methods and the modem always had wireless connectivity. I guess it wants to be set to allow all 802.11 protocols (a, b, g , or n).

1 Like

Understood! I’m glad everything’s back to normal.

I’m sorry we couldn’t help you, but we’re grateful for the feedback as it will allow us to solve future issues.

Hi @Ronman68,

Do you use the Wi-Fi over a third-party (non-Viasat) router? Or do you connect directly to the Wi-Fi created by your Viasat modem?

We are trying to further understand the root cause in order to fix any existing bugs that could be affecting other customers.

Thanks,

Nacho

Nacho,
I have the Wi-Fi Modem and I use the wi-fi that is integrated into the unit. As I stated before, as long as the Network Mode is set to “mixed”, a reboot does not cause any issues.

-Ron

1 Like