Ridiculously slow speeds

Service is horrible. I’m paying $130 a month for internet that I can’t even use. Day speeds are ok (when we aren’t home….) but any time after 5pm we can’t even stream Tv since the speeds drop to 2-3 mbps!!! Service tech has already been out and just told us it must be due to everyone being on the satellite at one time. Can’t wait until fiber is installed in my area.

Hi @stacies,

I’m sorry to hear about this bad experience.

Indeed I can see that your area has some congestion during peak busy hours, which could cause bad speeds as you were told. Our engineers are already aware of the situation and we are working on a long-term solution.

But there’s the possibility of having other issues that could combine into a worse experience, therefore we need to investigate further. You mentioned you are receiving 2-3mps speeds, I’d like you to run a speed test on these bad connectivity moments in order to identify other possible issues.

When you have time, can you please run a few tests using the guide below?

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

A full tutorial can be seen at: How to run a complete speed diagnosis?.

Thank you,
Avner

I’ve done this test a couple times. What are the next steps? Are you saying you can see the speed tests through my account?

Hi @stacies

DId you run the test on the Viasat Browser, and not using an Apple Device? I can’t see any results on your account.

Hi, @stacies,

How is the weather in your location today? We noticed that the weather could be affecting negatively your signal (and thus the speeds).

As Nathalia mentioned, we were not able to see your test results. It means there was some error on our app or you were not logged in and using a Viasat browser.

Next time you try a test, could you take a screenshot of the results and send us?

Thanks

I ran it on the browser, but I only have an apple phone

Hi @stacies

Unfortunately those are only the Device Test speed results, which is like running a normal test on any other website.

Do you have any other device not from Apple in which you can run the full speedcheck.viasat.com using the Viasat Browser, like a Windows laptop?

That way, we can see both the Modem speed and the Device speed results, and crosscheck them to find out if your setup has any Wi-Fi issues :slight_smile:

I would have to bring a computer up there. It is a vacation home and we are only there mainly on the weekends.

Hi @stacies,

I know this could be difficult for you, but if you think it would be possible, we’d appreciate it if you took the computer there to run a few tests for us, it would definitely help us get a better understanding of what’s going on in your network.

It also seems like your area had some bad weather events but now that seems to be better.

I just ran a speed test from your modem and I see good results:

Please let us know when you run a few more tests, let’s see if you are able to reproduce better speeds at the moment. I’d like you to also check if your speeds change significantly according to the weather (winds, rain, etc).

Thank you,
Avner

Hi @stacies,

Like my colleagues mentioned the complete speed diagnosis would be very useful, primarily because it would help us identify OR rule-out any Wi-Fi related issues (if we see big discrepancies in the speeds between your laptop and your modem).

Thanks,

Nacho