Ping Rate slowing me down

Can you access my Speed Test data from My Viasat Browser Speed Test. As I understand things Ping is related to latiency. Is there any solution you or I can try. Ive noticed overall improvement in performance after activation of Data Saver.

Hi @jewilson7 ,

Satellite internet has extremely high latency, due to the distance between satellites and the surface of the Earth. It’s normal to see a ping of 500-700ms in speed tests when you have a satellite connection.

The Data Saver feature helps conserve data while streaming but does not affect overall speeds or latency.

As I mentioned on your other topic, most of your Speed Check results indicate a WiFi issue, with the device speeds being significantly lower than the modem speeds. That might be what is affecting your connection.

Thanks,
Isabela

should i disconnect my Zytec modem and just use the Viasat. This is may more complicated than I anticipated. Makes me wonder If StarLink would be similar and more user friendly than You.

Hi @jewilson7 ,

You don’t need an extra modem with the Viasat modem provided to you.

To improve your connection and reduce the difference between your device speeds and your modem speeds, consider the following options:

• Add a router to your setup.
  • Use an Ethernet cable to directly connect your modem and devices.
  • Use your devices closer to the modem and prioritize the 5G network (it’s faster but has a shorter range).

Thanks,
Isabela

That is already done. I have Ethernet connection from Viasat
Modem to CenturyLink modem then Ethernet connection from CenturyLink modem to my PC.

Hi @jewilson7

Do you mean that you are currently using a CenturyLink router?

If you’re truly using an extra modem, please take a look at this quote from an earlier Forum topic:

You can’t replace the modem or use an additional one, but you can use any router along with your Viasat modem, or a Wi-Fi Mesh.

That is what I did on day one. Followed the instructions from ViasT and successfully meshed the Centurylink’s C4000LG router with the Viasat RG 1100R router. I have ordered the TP link router but can’t cancel the order if necessary or change routers if your think it’s will improve things. Thanks again. JW

Hi @jewilson7

Sorry about the confusion – as you mentioned using two Modems and not a Router, we were worried this was the issue.

If you already have the CenturyLink Router, and you feel that this current one doesn’t meet your expectations (due to the Wi-Fi still being weak), you can indeed use both Routers attached to the Viasat modem.

Please have a look at these guides:

Regarding the question of ping/latency:

Satellite internet has extremely high latency, due to the distance between satellites and the surface of the Earth. It’s normal to see a ping of 500-700ms in speed tests when you have a satellite connection.

Please read more here regarding high ping in satellite connection:
Satellite internet latency: What’s the big deal? - Viasat

I live in a city small home. 950 sq feet. I am using what is described as a mesh network with a Wi-Fi extender downstairs and mesh network upstairs in the loft area within site of downstairs where we use iPhones to surf the web. The information you sent is compelling but maybe overkill for my situation. What do you think. Thanks again. John

Hi @jewilson7

In the case of having multiple floors, the 5 GHz network may not be the best option for your scenario.

Can you try using the 2.4 GHz network only, for a few hours, and see if the signal improves? This band has slower speeds, but the signal is much stronger when you have obstacles or long distances between devices.

Because it uses narrower wavelengths, a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection is more susceptible to obstructions (which includes floors, walls etc.) than 2.4 GHz connections, and so will usually have a slightly shorter effective range.

I understand the difference and have tried both. I always use 24g.

Hi @jewilson7 ,

do you have any other issues in your network besides your ping? Unfortunately, latency is not something that can be improved since the values are like this because of the satellite internet’s physical limitations, due to how much physical space the bits of information need to travel in the round trip.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Just. Slow at times. Better after data saver enabled

For public knowledge, this issue is now being worked on: Viasat Router speed varience between from router and to router