Slow speeds and latency continues to be an issue

I have continually complained over the past year of slow download speeds and high latency since signing with Viasat. Tech staff seems oblivious and refuses to see how high latency causes other servers to view logins as coming from a slower system than speeds may indicate. Now the Viasat speed test doesn't even recognize its own modem. I am not using a VPN. Please fix your system

• Problem description: Slow speeds in both directions
  • What were you doing?: None of the above

This post was generated on SpeedCheck

Hi, @jnickharrah,

Thanks for your message.

Is that intermittent throughout the day or it is continuously without connection?

Also, in order to check the health of the Wi-Fi connection, please run a test as described here: How to run a speed test from my modem? - Slow Speeds - Viasat Support Forum

You’ll have to use the Viasat browser, go to Viasat’s speed check app, log in with your My Viasat credentials, and then run the test.

When you have the results please send us a screenshot.

Thanks!

Slow speeds are most noticeable in the evenings, when I typically use my desktop, often attempting to watch YouTube videos or video shorts. The specific desktop is wired directly to the modem, rather than being on wifi. As stated in my original post, I am not using a VPN. As is obvious by the history chart, I have used the viasat browser when running the speed tests, yet your software does not recognize your equipment. My original complaint includes latency. It is normal for the latency ping to exceed 600ms with jitter of 275-300ms. This causes other servers to view my connection as slow speed, much like a typical wired DSL, rather than the high speed connection I am supposedly paying for.

Hi @jnickharrah ,

We are very sorry for the bad experience, but we’re still investigating your issue, and I’ll relay the issue of your modem not being recognized by the speed check tool to the relevant team.

As for the latency issue, that is the normal value of latency for geostationary internet, as it’s a high-latency type of connection by nature.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hi @jnickharrah,

It looks like there was an incident that affected the upload speeds in your service area, particularly on Thursday night last week. At the moment it looks like the upload speeds are back to normal. Here is a test from your modem:

Sometimes speeds fluctuate a bit in the evenings depending on network congestion, but your service area doesn’t seem very affected by this.

Finally, regarding your observations on latency, what do you mean by saying this below? Could you please provide more details?

Thanks.

the attached screenshot from 7/1/23 explains it bst. this is a common condition when attempting to view from 3rd parties. In the particular case shown I was attempting to view an outage map with overlays for my own area. At the time I had my home on generator as the local power was out due to utility equipment failure. In addition my own ring and nest cameras often miss alerts as they take so long to connect to their servers. while you may view a connection time of 700ms as typical, the 3rd party servers we connect to may see this as a slow connection or not connect at all. Thank you for explaining that this delay is typical of your geo satellite system,however friends on starlink do not seem to have as significant a delay.

Hi @jnickharrah,

Thanks for the explanation. Is this a public website that you could share with us? We would like to reproduce the issue on our end to see if we can find a remedy.

The site is: https://pgealerts.alerts.pge.com/outagecenter/
This is available to anyone who wants to view current outages in the Pacific Gas and electric service area. It is used to report outages, as well as view outages and the size of any outage.

Thanks @jnickharrah.

We’ll try to run some additional tests with this site and will report back here.

Hi @jnickharrah,

Over your Viasat connection, does this message below eventually go away? Or does it load endlessly?

It eventually goes away and the map will load. This often takes 30 or more seconds.The map will then show the areas that the outage encompasses. This problem exists on more sites than the PG&E site. As an example, quite often weather maps from the weather channel will also require long waits to load or require a reload after the base map has loaded. I would expect that you are aware that many sites today rate the speed of the user as you log on. high latency rates cause the site to rate your connection as coming from a low bandwidth connection. I recently tracked a connection to the mainframe at USC on ping plotter. The plot showed 6 timeouts before connection was made. This is unacceptable latency. This past week I attempted to download a service manual from emanuals.com. The connection failed mid download 4 times. This meant that I used 10 gigs of data to receive a 2.7 gb file.
I realize that satellite connections are different from wired connections, and having moved to a rural area I am faced with few choices for the internet. When dsl over twisted pair performs better than my satellite, without data restrictions and, at half the cost, it is difficult to justify continuing purchasing service through you once my contract expires in 2024.
Should the speed and latency problems resolve themselves this would be another matter.
Thank you for continuing to look into the problems I have been experiencing

J. “Nick” Harrah

Hi @jnickharrah,

Do you know the date and rough estimate of the time when you tried to do this download? If it’s ok with you we can take a closer look at this event to see if we can find a root cause.

Thanks,

Nacho

7/23/23 shortly after 10pm pdt

Hi, @jnickharrah,

There was a recent change in the network. Did you notice if the speeds got better?

Please, could you run a test from your modem again and send us the results?

This is better

1 Like

Starlink is LEO, Low Earth Orbit. That is why latency is much lower than Viasat. You can’t beat the laws of physics.

Ok, @jnickharrah, thanks for the feedback.

If you find again any issues please let us know.