Low internet speed

Internet speed is consistently below 10mbps usually less than 1mbps. Tech support has not helped. I reboot the modem and signal improves for a few minutes. I have had viasat for 3 weeks and not been happy since the initial install. I have called multiple times but the solution is temporary.

Hi @Vicdegroote

I’m having a look at your account right now, and your modem at this specific time seems to be receiving better speeds:

While we investigate your setup, could you please run for us a few preliminary speed tests?

You can follow the full guide here for our Advanced Speedcheck, which runs a full check on your network, modem, and device: How to run a complete speed diagnosis.

Important notes about the advanced speedcheck:

This is not yet available for iPhones, so please try to run the tests on an Android device, or a computer if possible. Also please make sure to be logged in to the Speedcheck website, and using the Viasat Browser, so we can see your results history, and cross-check the speeds between your modem and devices. :slight_smile:

I know this seems a bit more complicated than usual tests, but this preliminary diagnostic tool helps us in identifying (or confirming) many different issues.

Thank you!

My speed is usually acceptable in the morning. It gets worse as the day progresses. Yesterday my speed dropped to 0.4mbps, I reset modem and speed bumped up to 34mbps for about 10 minutes then dropped again to less than 10mbps. I have called tech support 4 or 5 times in the three weeks I have had service. It’s always the same answer, reboot modem, your speed looks good now, we can find no issues with your signal. The fact that I have called at least once a week should be proof that there is a problem. FCC regulations requires 35mbps to be considered high speed internet, viasat advertises high speed internet with up to 150mbps, I consistently see less than 10mbps most of the day. I have had the dish relocated by a Direct TV tech since the first install was in a poor location. Both tech admitted that they had only done 4 or 5 viasat installations, neither me much about the system and could not answer questions. I need a viasat tech with experience to help me. I’m paying a lot of money for high speed internet which I have yet to receive since the initial installation. The test you ran is a snapshot of my signal, it is not reflective of what I see throughout the day.

My speed right now 10:12am

Speed test using viasat test 10:14am

Hi @Vicdegroote

Thank you for the detailed information.

Regarding the tests – did you run them using the Viasat Browser? I see that it was only a device speed test, and the message on the header usually indicates that this was not run on the Viasat Browser, or using an iPhone.

I used the app and ookla both are reliable

Please run the speed test from your end now and confirm my results

Hi @Vicdegroote

Yes, both are very good for device-only tests, but the advanced speedcheck (using the Viasat Browser) allows us to cross-check the speeds between your modem and device at the exact same time. Like you mentioned, it’s possible that the modem was receiving better speeds when I tested. For that reason, and also to identify issues with the modem or its Wi-Fi signal, we always ask for the advanced speedcheck using the Browser :slight_smile:

I’ll attach the full guide below in case you’ve encountered any issues.

Please, follow the guide below and let us know if you experience any issues while testing:

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

Thank you!

Using the browser

Hi @Vicdegroote

Thank you for running the full test :slight_smile:

It seems your modem is receiving almost 4x the speed that reaches your device (close to the speeds I saw on my first modem test). This can be indicative of a weak Wi-Fi signal from the modem, or too much distance between your devices.

Is the modem situated close to the device you used to run this test, or did you run it using an Ethernet cable? Regarding any other devices, are they all close to the modem, or in another floor/room?

The TV is 2 feet away, my device I used to run the test is 6 feet away

Hi @Vicdegroote

I noticed that your modem has had many network drops, with massive drops in signal quality during the week. Have you had any recent bad weather in the last 7 days?

We had one evening with some rain other than that is been clear and sunny

Hi @Vicdegroote

We’ve identified a possible fix for your issue, and made some changes to your network configuration.

These changes will be in full effect exactly 1 hour from now.

After that, could you please run a few more Advanced Speedchecks?

Thank you!

PS: As a sidenote, it seems your modem’s Wi-Fi signal is not strong enough to carry the speeds to your devices.

Within the Forum we often recommend these 2 Router alternatives to use along Viasat SB2+ Modems (the one your setup uses):

These are both very good Routers and help in amplifying the Wi-Fi range and quality throughout an average-sized house.

Taken at 12:46 pm. No change in speed

Hi @Vicdegroote

While I can see a small increase in your modem speeds, it looks like the main issue continues to be that your device is not receiving the same speeds. In cases like these, we strongly recommend an external Router, as the Wi-Fi signal from the SB2+ modem is not always enough.

I have an Orby router/ modem but it will not connect to the viasat unit because Orby needs to be the dominant router, that will require disabling the router feature on the viasat modem. Is that possible? Can you show me how?

Hi @Vicdegroote

Yes, that is possible!

Logging into a Surfbeam 2 or Surfbeam 2+ Modem:

1. To access the modem interface
  • Type 192.168.1.1:8080 in your browser URL bar
  1. Enter your modem username and password
  • If you have not previously created your own username and password, the credentials are:
    • Username: admin
    • Password: admin
  1. Click the Sign In button