Issue with data usage

Post to keep track of @jesiekatt62’s issue

Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

I understand how frustrating it can feel when your data is running out too quickly. If you believe the data consumption is abnormal, you can give us your consent to look into your data usage and we can take a look to verify if there are any abnormalities.

Thanks,
Leonardo

You’ve added more high-speed data free of charge to our account. We might see this reflected in our bill you’ve added a credit of the same amount so it will cost nothing for you. How much credit? I just plugged the modem back in and we’re at 53.5 now.

There is no way our data should run out this quick.
We have went to watching ONLY DVD’s for the last several
months trying to find out why when we are on 150GB plan.
And hardly ever online anymore and still running out and
our speed is as if we are on dial up.
“If you believe the data consumption is abnormal” YES!

YES, PLEASE!
You have my consent to look into our data usage and verify and fix the abnormalities.

This “Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

I’ve created this post so we can better track your issues.” does not show any updates on the data consumption review as you promised.
Nor is there any credits issued to our account as you promised.
HOW WHEN THIS MODEM HAS BEEN OFF AND UNPLUGGED SINCE 7:20am & 53.2 REMAINING DATA AND PLUGGED BACK IN AND ON AT 2:48pm 53.1 REMAINING. TELL ME HOW DATA HAS BEEN USED WHEN THE SYSTEM IS OFF AND UNPLUGGED?
I HAVE BEEN KEEPING A LOG OF WHEN THE SYSTEM/MODEM IS ON AND THE DATA USAGE AND UNPLUGGED/OFF AND THE REMAINING DATA ON THIS PLAN.
NOTHING IS RIGHT.

Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

I apologize for the delay, I’ve finished your analysis and sent it to you via a direct message.

As for the monitoring apps, My Viasat updates once every 15 minutes, and Viasat Shield updates every 5 minutes if you manually refresh it.

Thanks,
Leonardo

So from what I understand from looking at the charts of data usage you sent me is…
That just because we have a Rotu TV we are being charged usage.!
I’ve been keeping track of GB high-speed data remaining, not GB high-speed usage.
On the charts it show’s colors blue, green, tan/yellow & red. I need to know what
each color represents here.
Also last night I unplugged the Viasat modem at 5:19 pm, we had 49.5 GB remaining.
Plugged modem back in at 6:36 am we have 49.2. HOW DID WE LOSE .3GB
WHEN THE MODEM IS OFF AND UNPLUGGED. AND I TURN OFF ALL ELECTRIC
TO THE ROKU TV WHEN WE GO TO BED AT NIGHT, Last night it was 9 pm
when we went to bed.

We pay $174.74 a month and can’t do anything but sometimes use my laptop!
And that is not streaming movies or apps!
We should not use over 150 GBs like this! Nor spend this kind of money and
not even be able to watch anything on the TV.
We can’t afford to go to a higher plan either! We are both on fixed incomes!
This is not right for the elderly and disabled people.

Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

We’ve answered your concerns with a few more detailed graphs over your direct message. We’re sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Sorry I have not received any other graphs,
In regards to the " Data Saver Feature Experiment!" what does this cost?

How am I suppose to complete a Data Saver Feature Experiment Survey when I have not tried the it yet?

1. How beneficial did you find the Video Data Extender (data saver) feature?
  2. When you enabled the Video Data Extender and experienced the benefits of having high-speed data last longer, approximately how much longer did it last?
  3. The data savings of Video Data Extender also can cause videos to freeze or pause while loading video data. How often would you say that you experienced this?
  4. Did you experience any frustration due to video resolution issues, such as graininess or pixelation, when using this feature?
    ETC… I can not answer any of the questions on the survey when I have not tried it yet.
    How do I get the Data Saver Feature to try it?
    And we can afford the data to watch movies and video’s (well we did last night because we have to use the 30 credits you gave before Oct 4th.)
    How will this benefit our data saving after this test period?

Please understand I apricate all you assistances trying to find out this data usage issues!
But nothing seems to be resolved as of yet!

Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

Thanks for your message. For the graphs, please look into your direct message. I sent the graphs there, over a private channel because they contain your personal information.

As for the data saver experiment survey, thank you very much for letting us know about that. Initially, the experiment was made to understand issues about an old similar feature we provided called Video Data Extender, but there’s no problem with your participation. We’ve updated the survey so people who didn’t use the Video Data Extender before can have an option to select.

For the questions you mentioned, you can mark the 0-day answer (which is the new option we’ve added) for question number 2 and just mark the middle number for all the other questions. For anything that requires writing, just put in “N/A”.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Good morning sir!
“direct message. I sent the graphs there, over a private channel” is this my gmail emails?
Or where is the direct messages located?

I singed off the internet and unplugged the modem and the ROKU TV last night we where at 65. data remaining and 115 data used.

This morning modem & TV plugged at 5:45 (abought) in but not in use. I signed on to google/viasat at 7:35am and the remaining data is 62.5 & 117.6 used.
How is this possible when everything was signed off and unplugged over night?

And it takes 2 minutes to log into Viasat and it come up, our seed is at 2.5 pr Fast.com, I am paying for high speed?

How can I pull up my daily data usage charts/grafts & the one of when the modem is off and on?

Does Viasat & Roku have a contract?

We are being charged data when we are not even watching movies or video’s, just for having a Roku TV.
I can’t figure out why.

Thank you for the data credits, but it really sucks that it all has to be used by the 4th or we loose it!

Hi @jesiekatt62,

We believe that now that you are using the Data Saver feature your monthly data allowance (150 GBs) will last longer than it used to. We would be happy to run a report in a week to compare your data usage before the Data Saver and after.

The Data Saver decreased the bandwidth available for video traffic, that’s why you see 2.5 Mbps speeds on fast.com (which is a test that measures video speeds). Now, if you run a regular (non-video) speed test on https://speedcheck.viasat.com/ or https://speedtest.net/ you will see the speeds you get for all other kinds of traffic.

Finally, regarding the issue you reported about your data being used when your modem is unplugged, maybe you would be interested in scheduling a 3 hour period where you unplug your modem and we double check that it’s not using any data? If yes, please let me know and I can share some more details so that we can organize it.

Thanks,

Nacho

Sure could not hurt. Please let me know.
I just don’t know how it is going to help, when we can’t afford to watch
movies or videos now.

Sincerely
Kathleen Ricketson
In all doubts have faith in the Lord!

Hi @jesiekatt62,

Based on your reply, it seems like it is more valuable to you to be able to watch more videos and movies than it would be to conduct more troubleshooting. Would you agree with that?

I was looking into your data usage and noticed that 70% of your usage is Video Streaming. So I’m pretty confident that the Data Saver will reduce your usage by a lot. Roku TVs can easily use between 4 and 9 GBs per hour, so if the Data Saver is able to save you at least a third of that, then you will be able to stream a lot more each month without having to buy extra data.

The best way to test the Data Saver is probably to watch some movies between today and Oct 4, since you have like 60 GBs left of priority data. In those few days we (you and us) will already be able to tell if the Data Saver is helping you save data and thus extending your ability to watch movies.

Thanks,

Nacho

Ok dokey,
Thank you!

Having a Roku TV is killing us. We switched to watching and purchasing DVD’s again
because of this data usage issue. Just having the Roku TV plugged in and not on it is pulling data.
NOT COOL!

You are the first person in over 4 days emails back and forth and Forum support,
that has given me any hope. We are on fixed income and can’t afford this and I
have to have the internet for my medical issues.

Good morning sir,
In reply to your last message Sept. 25th

"The Data Saver decreased the bandwidth available for video traffic, that’s why you see 2.5 Mbps speeds on fast.com (which is a test that measures video speeds). Now, if you run a regular (non-video) speed test on https://speedcheck.viasat.com/ or https://speedtest.net/ you will see the speeds you get for all other kinds of traffic.

Finally, regarding the issue you reported about your data being used when your modem is unplugged, maybe you would be interested in scheduling a 3 hour period where you unplug your modem and we double check that it’s not using any data? If yes, please let me know and I can share some more details so that we can organize it.
My Speen from fast.com is at 2.2 this morning, with the Data saver on I have seen no difference in the speed or the used data savings! "

I will be off with Viasat modem and the Roku TV off and unplugged this today from 8:30 am. to at least 1 1 pm. if not later in the day when my husband gets home at 3 pm. If you can run the test I would apricate it. We really can’t afford to buy a new TV that is not a Roku.
O yea, we have removed all of the Apps from the Roku menu and that has not made a difference in the speed or data usage either. I am at my witz end with these issues with Viastat and you are the only provider for my address. I have to have internet for my medical issues and $174.74 (fixed income) a month for 150 GB data and we still run out/over for the month.
Sure feel like we are being ripped off! No one can tell us why and fix it.

Hi @jesiekatt62,

Just to confirm, will your modem be unplugged today from 8:30am to 1pm? If yes, could you please try to start using some data (ideally streaming with your Roku TV) right when you reconnect the modem?

Thanks,

Nacho

Yes, I logged in
38.9 remaining data.
141.2 used data.
Fast.com 2.5

Would it work better, using LESS DATA if we purchased a better modem/router?
And if so, which one should we use? I will be even HOTTER if a new modem doesn’t save data1