Feeling ripped off

I would love to be able to justify spending $126 a month for this internet but I really can’t. None of my devices ever stay connected, my download speed on standard internet varies from .25mbps up to about 15mbps. All I get is “reboot the modem” from customer service. How many times per day should I have to reboot the modem? I don’t know what the issue is but it would certainly be nice if something was done about it.

1 Like

Hi, @Nblack419711,

To check if there is anything else affecting your speeds, I just added some extra data to your account (free of charge).

You’ll receive an email about the charge, but you can ignore it (the credits will be in the next bill).

Please run some modem speed tests as follows:
1 - Open the Viasat browserthis test won’t work on other browsers;
2 - Go to this website: Viasat Speed Check | Home
3 - Log in using your My Viasat account
4 - Run the test (wait for both tests - modem and device - to complete)

By running tests as described above, we’ll have access to the results and we’ll be able to check if there is anything wrong with your terminal/wi-fi.

Let me know when you finish the speed tests.

Thanks!

I can’t get my phone to stay connected long enough to run the test as of right now. As soon as I can I will run the test. Speed is not necessarily my primary problem, I can’t get my devices to even
Stay connected.

Test done. Speed was much better but keep in mind it’s on high speed data not standard

Hi, @Nblack419711,

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Did you do the tests using the Viasat browser? I can’t see any results on our side.

It’s expected that the speeds drop a variable amount when you run out of priority data; however, we’ll continue investigating the causes of the low speeds you reported.

In the meantime, I’d recommend trying to save priority data. If you want, we can analyze your usage and provide some feedback/advice on how to save data.

You can also benefit from signing up for the Data Saver feature. The Data Saver automatically adjusts the bandwidth for video downloads, thus helping you maintain the priority data. You can learn more about it here: Announcing the Data Saver Feature Experiment!

Thank you. I understand it should slow down. But to 1 MBPS? also, as I mentioned, one major issue is devices not staying connected and not being able to reconnect until I reboot the modem. What would be causing this? It’s multiple times per day.

Hi, @Nblack419711,

I see. Even now with priority data do your devices keep losing connection? All of those happen over wi-fi? Is there any device connected via an Ethernet cable?

Do you think that could be related to the distance between the devices and router (for the ones connected over wi-fi)?

Yes even during priority data. I brought up the fact to the installation tech that the modem and router are in the very back room of the house but he said it would cover the whole house. All are on WiFi with no Ethernet. It’s a 1600 sa ft, one level home. ??

Hi, @Nblack419711,

If your devices are usually far from the router, then that might be a reason for the disconnections. Do you remember if the disconnections happen also when you’re close to the router?

When you have a chance, please run some modem speed tests, as I mentioned above. By doing that we can check the wi-fi signal strength in your device (at the moment of the test).

Here I am again with the same issues. 10mbps download speed. Can’t keep devices connected and can’t even get some to connect at all. Reboot the modem, reboot the modem. How long does this go on before Viasat actually does something to remedy the problem? I don’t know which is worse, not having internet or paying for internet that works like 1999 AOL.

Sounds to me you need a range extender and maybe need to be placed on a less congested server to reach the speeds you are paying for!

Hi @Nblack419711

1600 square feet is too big a distance for the modem’s Wi-Fi signal to properly reach all rooms (especially if the modem is not at the center of the house).

Wi-Fi routers operating on the 2.4 GHz band can reach up to 150 feet indoors and 300 feet outdoors. Because it uses narrower wavelengths, a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection is more susceptible to obstructions than 2.4 GHz connections, and so will usually have a slightly shorter effective range, typically, 10 to 15 feet shorter.

An external router such as this one – TP-Link AC1200 Gigabit WiFi Router Archer A6 – could improve the Wi-Fi coverage in your house.

You can also use a wireless Repeater/Range Extender as mentioned above to duplicate the signal for distant rooms, or a Wi-Fi Mesh Router.

These are all different things, so it can get a bit confusing.
You can read more about the differences and choose which one makes more sense in your specific case:

Normal Routers vs Wi-Fi MESH Routers

Wi-Fi MESH vs Repeater (Range Extender)

Repeater (Range Extender) vs Normal Routers

They also installed a Hitron router along with my modem but installed them both in the back room of the house…the closest most convenient room to the dish placement. I mentioned this to the technician and was insured that the router/modem would cover the whole house. He was skeptical but trusted he knew what he was talking about. Obviously it was just placed in the most convenient place to avoid running extra coax and going under my house. With that being said how do you get it fixed? I’ve had the tech back out here and spoken to customer service multiple times as well as posting here multiple times.

Hi, @Nblack419711,

Sorry for taking some time to reply.

As Mannyrue mentioned you could benefit from a Wi-Fi extender.

We’re still investigating the offline events and trying to confirm if there is any issue in the network that we can adjust.

Let me know if you would like to give it a try to the Data Saver feature

Took the advice and got a WiFi extender. Works great for the whole home until my high speed data runs out and then right back to crawling speeds and not being able to get connected. Still feeling ripped off

Hi @Nblack419711

Thanks for the feedback, good to know that the Range Extender is working for your setup! :tada:

Unfortunately, when you run out of high-speed data, your speeds are not prioritized and you may experience very slow speeds, especially during the peak period (evenings).

This secondary issue is not something the Range Extender will help with, as it’s only giving you a wider signal, but not higher speeds.

I see that you are not currently in our free Data Saver Experiment, so it might be an option to maintain your high-speed data for as long as possible if you use streaming apps a lot: