Data Usage Is Off

My data usage says 15gb used. My average is 3.7 per day and shows 2.2 for one day and 4.7 for next. I billed 2 days ago. It is nowhere close to 15gb and I know we haven’t used 10gb+ today. This seems to happen often. Ever since we were forced into a new plan, it’s slower and data usage is far higher. Hoping broadband is fully installed soon, I am so tired of ViaSat!

1 Like

Hi @Sgayle40380,

Sorry about this experience.

Were you using the My Viasat app to keep track of your usage? Also, do you mind if I take a look at your data usage to try to identify anything unusual and provide a recommendation based on that?

Thanks,

Nacho

Turns out the app was not reporting the first day when we did watch 2 movies. It never used this much data for movies in the past however. Does not help that our Smart TV upgraded and isn’t very clear if it is antenna or internet being used with their new channel guide. When ViaSat changed my plan from Liberty to the Choice, they also never told us we no longer qualified for the Free Zone. I also ran the Speed Check from ViaSat and then the one from Ookla and there was a huge difference. Can you please explain this?

Oh and yes, please feel free to check the account if it helps!

Hi @Sgayle40380,

It looks like about 40% of you usage is video streaming (Roku) and another 40% is web browsing (mostly on an Android device and a Windows device).

We know that Roku TVs don’t have a great mechanism to manually set video definition to “standard” instead of “HD”, therefore it can be difficult to save data. However, you might be interested in participating in testing our new Data Saver feature, in this article you can find more information about it: Announcing the Data Saver Feature Experiment!

Thanks,

Nacho

About this below, speeds can fluctuate a lot around times of high network congestion (such as the evening hours) so if you were running the tests at that time - that might explain it.

Anyway, if you want us to look further into this one, could you please run a https://speedcheck.viasat.com/ test and immediately after run a https://speedtest.net/ test and share screenshots of the results with us? Please make sure you use the same device for both and that you are in the same location within your house.