Data Usage - Extra Data used very quickly!

Whenever I purchase extra data (which is monthly since it appears that I am using more every month, even though I work away), the data is used within two days. 30 GB…less than two days. I live alone and don’t game. Please help.

Hello @Nelson1000 ,

Sorry to hear about your extra data being used up so quickly! I’d be more than willing to check your data usage and see what’s using it up and how we can help you conserve your data, but I’ll need your consent to access your usage statistics. Could I do that? Once you’ve replied, we’ll get back to you as fast as possible!

Thanks,
Gregório

Yes, it’s fine to access my data usage.

Hello again @Nelson1000 ,

Thanks for giving us that permission. We’re investigating the data in your account and it may take us a short while to analyze it. We’d appreciate your patience while we do so, and will have an update for you ASAP.

Hi @Nelson1000 ,

We had some obstacles in our investigation since we needed to conduct an extended one, but we should have updates for you soon. I deeply apologize for the lateness in getting back to you, but please rest assured that we have not abandoned your issue and we’re closely looking into it.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Looking forward to hearing what you uncover. A little extra to the story: Since July 6, I have been without internet. Upon calling Viasat, they said there was an outage in the area, but through the call, they realized I had internet but my dish is likely turned somehow. There have been no high wind storms. They schedule a technician weeks from the day (even put it on “urgent” or something like that) and offered a three month “easyCare” for free, which I can cancel so I don’t get charged for the service call.

At that time, my data left was 12.6 GB left (so I used 87.2 GB in eight days, where I work away from home and it’s rarely being used.

My service call is set for today, June 21st. This AM i checked my internet and lo and behold, it miraculously works. I will allow the technician to come just in case an adjustment is needed. I quickly went onto Viasat to see my usage, and somehow, in the middle of the time when I HAD NO INTERNET, I have used an additional 2.8 GB. The internet hasn’t worked once and the daily graph shows I haven’t used it since 7/6. So the data somehow “adjusted”. i’m angry at myself that I hadn’t taken screenshots.

There is obviously a problem with the data usage.

Best part, I’ve been without internet for most of the month and will STILL need to purchase more data before the start of the next month because the usage has been so high.

Any information would be greatly helpful. I am very frustrated.

Hi @Nelson1000 ,

I’m sending you the results of our analysis over a direct message.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hi @Nelson1000,

We see that your technician visit was completed on July 21, but that you requested another one (which is currently scheduled for August 8). After the technician left, did the experience improve at least momentarily? Did they only repoint the antenna?

We will reach out to our field services team to expedite this new tech visit.

Thanks and sorry about this experience.

Nacho

Also, @Nelson1000, we tried running a speed test from your modem but keep getting errors. What is the color of the LED light on your Viasat modem?

My internet was restored before he arrived. It worked after he adjusted the dish…for two hours.
I called immediately asking if he could come back, and was told I have to wait until august 7 for another appointment. Don’t know what he did, but I’m very frustrated across the board. No internet for a month is really inconvenient.

The modem color is blue. It has been the entire time.

Hi, @Nelson1000,

The service was rescheduled for tomorrow (28 July).

Hi @Nelson1000,

We see that your July 28 appointment was cancelled, but don’t see a reason for it. Did you request to cancel it when they called to confirm the time?

I canceled it because my internet started working again for no reason at all. I’m just hoping it stays on. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Nelson1000,

We are glad that your experience improved. However, I tried to run a test from your modem but keep getting an error. If you don’t mind, could you please run a test on Speed Check and share a screenshot of the results with us? Here are some instructions to do it: How to run a speed test from my modem?

Thanks,

Nacho

Hi @Nelson1000,

That upload doesn’t look great.

If you could run the full diagnosis on Speed Check (using the Viasat Browser and logging in) that would help us see your speeds from the modem + some additional metrics - just like on this example below:

Could you please try to run one of these and share a screenshot with us?

Thanks,

Nacho

Hi @Nelson1000,

Our engineers were able to solve the issue that wasn’t allowing us to run tests from your modem, and now I am seeing good speeds.

Still, seeing a full diagnosis from your side could help us rule out any Wi-Fi issues that could also be affecting your experience.

Thanks,

Nacho

This is all that I’m getting, sorry.

Hi @Nelson1000,

Are you using the Viasat Browser? The Viasat Browser enables the advanced diagnostic tools on Speed Check.

Thanks,

Nacho