Speeds are slow

Started having speed trouble and buffering at about 8:15. Heres the test results

speed-check-results (2).csv (617 Bytes)

Hi, @krewchief25,

I saw that you signed up for the data saver. If you find any issues, please let us know. We can increase the video speeds to 4.5, 5, or 5.5 Mbps.

About the speed test results, I can add some extra data (free of charge) to your account. This way, we can see if the issue is not related to a lack of priority data in peak hours.

Let me know if you agree with that approach. If so, ideally you should run some more tests during those same hours, so we can compare the results.

My firestick is already buffering so the current setting isn’t going to work

Hi, @krewchief25,

I just increased the rate to 5.5Mbps, please let us know if you see any improvements.

Hi @krewchief25 ,

I’ve noticed you are out of priority data, so that may also be the cause of the buffering, as your general internet speeds can decrease when you’ve run out of data, also affecting the streaming speeds.

I’ve added 30 GBs of priority data to your account so you can properly test the new configuration for the Data Saver.

Please ignore any email you receive saying you’ve “purchased” this data, as it is free of charge.

Speeds are 5.2, i checked it 4 times

Its hard to tell on the buffering because it would buffer when i had 100 gb of high speed data but now the engineer tells me there has been a change in our network and it should be better

Speed is 5.2 on fast checked it 4 times

1 Like

Hi, @krewchief25,

Just for our reference: did you run those last speed tests on https://speedcheck.viasat.com?

If you run the test on fast.com, then that’s correct, because fast.com uses video files for the speed tests (so the data saver decreases the available bandwidth).

Oh, got it, you just answered. Then that’s correct, for the reasons I explained above

Hi @krewchief25 ,

You actually ran out of high-speed data on October 14, so your speeds were probably not very good in general, hence the slowness and the buffering.

Now that you’re on the Data Saver experiment, with a working lower streaming speed for videos, you can save up your priority data for longer during the month.

Even when i had plenty of high speed data speeds were slow and was buffering badly when i should have been on high speed data and speeds should have been fast

Hi @krewchief25,

Based on our tools, there might be a little congestion between 8 and 10 pm. I see that all the tests you ran were around those times, when you get a chance could you please run a couple of complete speed tests (including speed from the modem) in the morning?

That will help us understand if the bad speeds are related to congestion or to something else.

We have access to the tests results you get on https://speedcheck.viasat.com/ so don’t worry about sharing screenshots.

Thanks,

Nacho

1 Like

Hi @krewchief25 ,

fast.com is a tool developed by Netflix to specifically test your video streaming speeds, so everything is correct there – we configured your Data Saver to be 5.5 Mbps, and 5.1 Mbps is just a little bit below that, but close enough to hopefully fix the buffering issue.

1 Like

I forgot to do test this morning but i just did this one and one on speedcheck at 12:30ish

Not at 5.5 and is buffering

Hi @krewchief25 ,

Thanks for running more of the tests during the day!

Like we suspected, your speeds during the morning and afternoon are great, both from your modem and your device – way above the max speed of your plan:

But during the night, as my colleagues said, the congestion in your service area causes your speeds to fluctuate more:

However, keeping in mind that your plan is for download speed to reach a max of 50 Mbps and upload speed to reach a max of 3 Mbps, the fluctuation is still mostly close to those numbers.

On the other hand, we understand that this instability in speeds is not the best experience and it’s not what we’d like our customers to have.

While we don’t have an immediate solution, our Viasat Engineers are continuously working to relieve congestion within our network so that you can expect improvements in the long term.

During these peak hours of the evening, the advice we can give short-term is to connect fewer devices to your network, not use any VPN, and connect your device via Ethernet cable if possible.

There is no way my speed should be this slow, i can’t even watch one tv!!! Ive been without service for a week and a half because the viasat modem failed and now in the 2 days its been back on ive had slow speeds and buffering in nonpeak hours also. Something needs to change fast or viasat can come pick up there equipment. I have had pour internet from the beginning which voids any kind of contract they think they have!!!