Slower than expected

I am a new customer and the first few days I was getting 10mbs download which is ok. Now I am getting 1.9 download 5.9 up speeds. I would expect to get better down than up. I do not stream and just browse so 8 to 10 down would be good.

Hi @gmcgee78 ,

Sorry for my late answer! I’m looking into your network right now, and once I have any updates I will let you know. Meanwhile, could you run an advanced speed test and post your results, including the modem speeds? Here is an article on how to do so: How to run a speed test from my modem?

Having that information will help us look into it.

Thanks,
Leonardo

| Leo Admin
March 11 |

• | - |

Hi @gmcgee78 ,

Sorry for my late answer! I’m looking into your network right now, and once I have any updates I will let you know. Meanwhile, could you run an advanced speed test and post your results, including the modem speeds? Here is an article on how to do so: How to run a speed test from my modem?

Having that information will help us look into it.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hello @gmcgee78 ,

Have you been experiencing these low speeds all the time or only at specific periods of the day? From what I can see in your test you are not using Wi-Fi, is that correct?

Thanks
Leonardo

I use wifi and lan. My main desktop is lan and I get slow speed at different parts of the day. I get disconnects at random times the modem will be solid red. I think the dish may need adjusted. I don’t know how to tell if I am getting a good signal.

| Leo Admin
March 12 |

• | - |

Hello @gmcgee78 ,

Have you been experiencing these low speeds all the time or only at specific periods of the day? From what I can see in your test you are not using Wi-Fi, is that correct?

Thanks
Leonardo

I use wifi and lan. My main desktop is lan and I get slow speed at different parts of the day. I get disconnects at random times the modem will be solid red. I think the dish may need adjusted. I don’t know how to tell if I am getting a good signal.

Hi @gmcgee78, you mentioned your modem light is solid red when you disconnect, can you tell us how often you see that, and when was the last time you saw it?

It has happened 4 times in 10 days the last time was Saturday 3-11-23 at 7:30 PM. It stays disconected for about 20 minutes on average. The slow speeds are usually in the evenings during congestion. I am coming from Hughesnet and I had very slow speeds but not the disconnects. I appreciate the help and thank you for your time.

1 Like

Hi @gmcgee78,

Thank you for these details! I am escalating your issue to another team that works more closely with these kinds of problems and I will send you an update either today or tomorrow when we have more information.

Best,
Cat

The modem team is looking into this. One thing we’d like to confirm – last Saturday was the modem solid red during this outage that happened at 7:30 PM?

Yes the modem was solid red. The speeds were much better today and I have uploaded an attachment.

ok thanks. Please let us know when the solid red light happens again. We have a team of modem engineers digging into your logs and such but nothing yet.

Saturday morning at 9:45 am the modem light was solid red. I tried rebooting several times and it would be flashing white for a while and then go to red. I had no service until 8:15 Pm saturday night and it has been ok so far. There is a service tech coming Tuesday between 8 and 12 to check it out. I will let you know what they find. Thanks for the help and concern.

Hi @gmcgee78,

Thank you for the update! We’ll be sure to follow-up tomorrow after your tech visit.

Best,
Cat

The tech changed the modem and the speeds and connection are much faster. I have attached the results from this morning. Thank you for your help.

Thanks for the update. That’s great news, we’re happy that we were able to help! :slight_smile:

@Nacho what was wrong with the modem? Also, were there any specific symptoms that indicate a particular problem that is fixed by replacing the modem?

@gmcgee78 your speed from your device in the above test is less than your Speed From Your Modem. Is that consistent? If so, it might indicate a Wifi issue.

Also please let us know if these disconnects stop happening.

hey @gmcgee78

Just wanted to follow up on your issue! are you still having disconnections, and have your speeds stabilized?