Slow Internet and can't work

I am on the 300 GB plan and my upload speed is .4 Mbps; shouldn’t I expect much faster than this for the high price I am paying. Video conferences are painful, can’t open some files, and the buffering using streaming services is ridiculous! Help!

1 Like

Hi, @gina.smith729,

Thanks for your message! I’m checking that now. Once I have more information I’ll let you know.

Hi, again, @gina.smith729,

I made a preliminary check and could not find anything to explain such a slow upload.

These are the speeds I see now:

Please, when you have a chance, run a speed test from your modem, as follows:
1 - Open the Viasat browserthis test won’t work on other browsers;
2 - Go to this website: Viasat Speed Check | Home
3 - Log in using your My Viasat account
4 - Run the test (wait for both tests - modem and device - to complete)

By following the steps above, we’ll be able to access the results.

Thanks!

1 Like

Done.

So please explain why I have issues opening files, watching television (absolutely painful trying to watch a football game which usually buffers enough that we are 5-10 minutes behind the actual game and what is going on). Video conferences are ridiculous!

For what I pay a month, I am totally not happy with the quality.

Hi, @gina.smith729,

Sorry for the bad experience. For some reason I could not see the results. Did you log into the speedcheck.viasat.com? Could you send me screenshots of the results you have?

Ok I’ve done the test twice; results attached

Viasat Speed Check _ Home.pdf (272 KB)

1 Like

Hi @gina.smith729,

Thank you for your reply,

We’ll let you know as soon as we have updates for you.

Thank you,
Avner

Hi @gina.smith729

We just made some changes to your network to hopefully improve your experience.

It might take up to one hour (from now) for the changes to apply. Please let us know if you see any improvements.

Thank you,
Avner

Thank you I will give it a try

Hi @gina.smith729,

Can you give us some feedback?

Has our network configuration change improved your experience?

Thank you,
Avner

Honestly it is up and down depending on time of day; it has been better at times and slow at times.

So for whatever reason, now if I run a speed check it cannot run a check on the modem.

Hi @gina.smith729,

Are you using the Viasat Browser and are you logged in to your account while trying to run a speed test from your modem?

If so, could you explain to me the issue you are facing?
Some screenshots would also be very useful.

Thank you,
Avner

Well part of my issue is that I can’t always use your Viasat browser and was never told it was required. I work for a firm and need to be able to use Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

Attached is the error I receive when trying to run speed check/modem check

Viasat Speed Check _ Home 12 14 23.pdf (283 KB)

Hi @gina.smith729,

Sorry if we didn’t make it clear that the ViasatBrowser is required to run the speed test from your modem, but it indeed is, that’s why we ask customers to download it, part of the system that runs these tests is attached to the browser.

With that in mind, no other browser will be able to run a full diagnosis like this. We’ve been having some instability this week with the system that runs theses tests, which could be the cause for the error you sent a screenshot of.

We’ll keep investigating it further, please keep trying to run those, and make sure to try to log out and log back in to see if the error stops happening. If you face any errors again please report back to us here.

Thank you,
Avner

The diagnosis I sent you is from being logged into Viasat and it still wouldn’t run the modem speed. I will try again tomorrow

1 Like

It would be really nice to watch an NFL game workout non stop buffering and being 10-15 minutes behind what is really happening!

Hi @gina.smith729,

Upon running another speed test from your modem I see good results compared to your plan:

Does the buffering experience happen at specific times of the day? I noticed that the worst speed in your history was run later in the day, do you experience worse speeds in the evening?

Thank you,
Avner

Sunday it was in the afternoon between 1 and 7:30pm, but definitely worse between 6-8pm

Hi @gina.smith729,

We’ve investigated your network behavior and it seems like there’s no issue with your cabling or hardware equipment.

However, these speed issues may be caused by network congestion during the peak busy period this could be in the evening hours, on weekends or holidays for example, when the customer’s usage increases.

During our troubleshooting, we detected good speeds from your modem, and it seems like they are successfully getting to your device at moments when congestion is not a problem.

During the peak period, we’d recommend connecting fewer devices to your network, not using VPN, and connecting your device via Ethernet cable if possible.

If you run out of priority data, your traffic is not prioritized and you might see slower rates too, especially during the peak busy periods.

Thank you,
Avner