Securing Viasat Wifi

Hello, My Viasat internet was running slow, so I called tech support, and they told me to unplug the gateway. In doing so the wifi went from requiring a password to not requiring one. I already tried changing the settings using the admin account but the admin password provided on the back of gateway is incorrect. In order to make this secure I was planning on buying a 3rd party router and pugging it up to the gateway. That way I can go into the router and setup a password to make my internet secure again. What 3rd party router is recommended to be used in combination with the Viasat Wifi gateway? I am not sure whether the wifi currently is 2.4 or 5 gghz either. Before there were two different wifi options: 2.4 and 5 gghz. Now the only wifi popping up say “redacted”.

Hi @jeremy8

Within the Forum we often recommend these 2 Router alternatives to use along Viasat SB2+ Modems (the one your setup uses):

These are both very good Routers and help in amplifying the Wi-Fi range and quality throughout an average-sized house.

By the way, I tried to check your modem to see what’s going on, but your email address is linked to two Viasat accounts. I’ll ask you via private message which one is the correct/active one :slight_smile:

Do you know how this would affect my internet performance? Say, if I was getting 4 Mbps upload speed on my computer would it increase or decrease that upload speed?

Hi @jeremy8

Do you mean, would a Router affect your speeds negatively? Or would this network issue with the passwords affect your speeds?

Hi again @jeremy8

I’ll reply here on the original post so we can keep things more centralized :slight_smile:

We have an escalation open with the Modem team regarding this issue, and I’ve also put in a request for the Field Operations team to check if your service call can be moved to a sooner date.

I’ll keep you updated in regard to both of those threads.

Also –

Yes, that is indeed a factory reset. This is why all your networks disappeared, and your password issues arose – the modem is back to its factory default.

Normally, when modems are acting a bit “off” or you notice bad speeds, it’s only recommended that customers try to do a reboot – just unplug modem from the power outlet, and plug it back in.

I’m very sorry this factory reset suggestion ended up causing you trouble.

Oh, I forgot to also explain to you, regarding this comment:

I was on the phone with multiple tech support people from 9pm to 1230 am. They fed me bs multiple times ie “we are changing the settings on your router”… i dont even have a router.

Sorry about the misunderstanding @jeremy8

When Customer Care agents say “router”, they don’t mean an external or secondary router – every modem with Wi-Fi has its integrated router, just like yours. Sometimes when they talk about a router, they’re actually just referring to your Viasat modem :wink:

Hi again @jeremy8

Great news!

The Modem team found an issue with the previous factory reset, so they did the process again from their side. They can see all your private networks and their proper passwords are up again.

Can you check from your side if things have been restored to normal?

Yes, everything seems to be working. A few questions though: what happened? Will my admin password actually work now in case this happens again? Is my wifi password still the same as it was? Is it best from now on just to find technical support on here rather than calling because no offense but the technical support over the phone was pretty much worthless. Not only that but they wasted a ton of my time. I was probably on the phone with viasat in total 8 hours this week. Lastly, Do I need to call and cancel the service call now that this is working or would you guys do that?

Hi @jeremy8

The team is investigating what caused that bad reset, but all your passwords and Wi-Fi networks have been restored to what they were. The modem should also now work with the admin credentials on that sticker.

And if you’d like, yes, you can use the Forum to troubleshoot other technical issues whenever needed – that’s mostly what we deal with :slight_smile:

I will go ahead and request the service call to be canceled as soon as we can confirm that you’re able to access your old networks with their old passwords, and if you can access viasatmodem.com using the admin credentials. Always best to make sure :sweat_smile:

By the way, regarding your comments about speed issues, could you run a few tests for us?

We have a tool to cross-check modem vs device speeds, and that way we can identify and troubleshoot a lot of Wi-Fi or network issues if your setup has those.

Please, follow the guide below and let us know if you experience any issues while testing:

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

Thank you!

I was able to log in with the admin credentials so you can go ahead and cancel the service call.

Hi @jeremy8

Got it, I’ve requested the Field Ops team to cancel your tech visit.

I’ll mark this topic as Solved for now, but if you need help with this or any other issue, let us know :wink:

PS – if you notice that your speeds are slow after running those tests I mentioned, you can uncheck what’s marked as the Solution here and leave us another reply. :slight_smile: