High latency, slow internet speed

Takes time to load into websites, and my son says he can’t play online games on his console because of lag

General rule for Satellite internet, It is not made for gaming, Issue is due to high “Ping” Average for Satellite is around 600-700MS, So that incurs latency into a lot of games such as FPS ones"Call of duty, Battlefield,FortNight" And the such where you need that lower ping to react in a quicker fashion…

Games like Civilization, Age of Empires, And the such tend to work cause they are slower paced games that don’t need that quick reaction time to them.

I can confirm Games like fallout 76, Gears 5, Palworld, Diablo work for me in online, But yes Viasat, Hughsnet are not good for the average video game player.

Hello @Robind12

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, all satellite connections have a high latency by default, due to the geographical distance of the satellite.

However, as you mentioned having issues also while browsing the web, could you please run for us a full speed diagnosis from the device you were using?

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

Thank you!

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.