Absurdly low speeds

Hello! I got my Viasat installed yesterday and have been having CRAZY slow speeds. Download=10.9mbps upload=4.8mbps (and this is on the viasat browser…it’s EVEN WORSE on regular Google mode or whatever). And this is at all times of the day/night, and I’ve gotten nowhere close to the max usage as I’ve had it one day and used 5gbs. My security system can’t even get close to connecting (which is not really the main issue because I do understand that satellite and security video systems don’t go well together), but everything else even works better on my cellular signal-i went with at+t hotspot at first, but 100gbs a month isn’t even close for enough data even for a single individual for more than 2 weeks max lol. Viasat and even the installer told me I’m on the month/month unleashed so I decided I’d give it a try and can cancel if it doesn’t work out. The installer also does starlink installs and said that I’d probably be hitting him up soon to install starlink-which I guess he was right lol :(. I have my modem/router centered and high as possible in residence (small one story house- 1188 sq ft) In northern Texas -a little west of Dallas/fortworth. I’m wondering what else can be done about speeds, as I’m getting NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to the lowest 25mbs when I’m at 10.9mbps and 4.8mbps??? Hellllppp me plz < 3. (The customer service I’ve received at viasat so far in initiating service and installing, actually HAS been great!!)

1 Like

Hi @Taylor52420 ,

Thank you for your contact. We’re actually seeing good speeds on our side, which are not coherent with the experience you are having, so we’ll have to investigate why this is happening.

Is your service slow during the morning as well? Or is it slow only during the afternoon-evening period?

Could you try running the speed check again, but making it an advanced one?

For the advanced speed check you will need to use the Viasat Browser and you will also need to log in to the speedcheck.viasat.com website with your My Viasat credentials. You can find the step-by-step instructions here: How to run a complete speed diagnosis?

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hey Leo! So it’s like that ALL the time, no matter the time of day. Morning as well. And that WAS the viasat browser and website :weary:. I did 2 back to back just make sure It just kept getting worse lol If you’d like, I’ll do a 3rd/4th scan on the viasat browser and post when I get home in a bit!

Hi @Taylor52420 ,

That is strange because I should be able to see it from our side without you having to send a screenshot if everything was done correctly. Were you logged on to your My Viasat account on the speed check website?

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hey Leo! Yessir I was. And see pic below-just ran another one. If you look at top right corner, you’ll see the viasat icon indicating I’m on the viasat browser. And I’m logged into my viasat account as well!

Hi @Taylor52420 ,

Are you using an iPhone to run these? The advanced speed check currently does not work on the iPhone. Do you have another device where you can run it? Any android device, windows PC or any mac computer should be able to run it.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Yea, with iPhone! Currently don’t have laptop or anything here. It lets me run it just fine though through the viasat browser and speed check on the actual my viasat so a little confused :thinking:

@Taylor52420 ,

The issue with it is that the advanced speed check will verify both the device and modem speeds and a few other factors which help us identify potential problems in the connection, however, iPhones can currently only run the basic one, which is the type of test you were able to run.

Since running the advanced speed check is not possible for now, could you try running it while standing right beside the router and verifying if that improves the speeds you’re getting?

Thanks,
Leonardo

Ah I see. Ok let me do that right now!

So a little better! Got a 40ish download reading, then back to 30 and below. And still only 3-4 upload (not sure if upload really matters that much though? New to all of this lol)

@Taylor52420 ,

Those are the speeds we get on the modem tests on our side, so we can pretty much conclude that Wi-Fi is mitigating a lot of your speeds when you’re farther from the router.

About the upload speeds, in average the upload speeds for Viasat internet are around 3Mbps, so that is normal and expected.

An external router such as this one – TP-Link AC1200 Gigabit WiFi Router Archer A6 – could improve the Wi-Fi coverage in your house.

If you acquire that router or a similar one, the Wi-Fi coverage in your house would improve and the mitigation of the speeds could be reduced.

Thanks,
Leonardo

With another router, do I use that INSTEAD of the viasat one, or WITH it? I’ve actually got a wifi extender/booster ordered and couple Ethernet cables incase as well lol

Hi @Taylor52420 ,

If you only have a Viasat modem with no external router, you’ll need to set up bridge mode (we can help you with that) and use the external router with it.

If you have an external router hooked up to the Viasat modem, you’ll only have to remove the external router, plug the new router in, and configure it.

Let me know if you have any questions about the process.

Thanks,
Leonardo