15 devices using data

My Viasat app is telling me I have 15 devices sucking data each month. When I try to see what they are, all I see is a series of random letters and numbers. How can I tell what they are?

Hi @hallmans4

How can I find my device’s MAC address to help me identify it within the app?

iPhones & iPads:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Wi-Fi
  3. Tap the info icon (the blue circle with an “i” in it) next to the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to
  4. Your MAC address is listed in the Wi-Fi Address field

Android Phones & Tablets:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Connections
  3. Tap Wi-Fi
  4. Tap Settings for the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to
  5. Scroll down to see your MAC address

If you use a device on both your 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi networks, please note that due to the MAC randomization setting that is turned on by default on many devices, your device may have a different MAC address for each network causing it to display twice in the Shield app.

If you don’t see your device type listed above, you should be able to find its MAC address in the device’s Wi-Fi or general settings. Some smart home devices may also have their MAC address printed on the physical device.

What if I am not familiar with a device on my list?

Devices on your home internet could include smart home devices, wearables (e.g. smart watch), phones, tablets, and computers.

Manufacturer name
The manufacturer name (listed under device name if available) should help you identify devices in your home.

MAC address
MAC address is displayed for every device in the Shield app. Compare it to the MAC address on your device for easy identification.

Still not sure?
Our recommendation is to pause or block the device with Viasat Shield Premium until you can identify it.

To look up a manufacturer name: https://macvendors.com/

On Viasat Shield, the devices will usually present a manufacturer name below the MAC address (the number string).

For example:

imageimage

Hi @hallmans4

Were you able to find out what those devices on your network were? :slight_smile:
I see that you acquired Viasat Shield Premium when we last spoke.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Thank you!

Not sure yet if I’m going to do this, but what is the process for canceling my account?

Thanks,
Jim Hallman

Hi @hallmans4

Sorry to hear that! :confused:

To go ahead with the disconnect, you can contact the Customer Care Agents at 855-463-9333 (our Forum team can’t do this process for you due to legal disclaimers that have to be read and agreed to).

If there is anything we can do to help, let us know :slight_smile: