Only getting 30% of my modem's speed during a speed test

I just recently started my Viasat account and had it installed on my warehouse. Brand new equipment. I pay for 150 MBPS and only get maybe 20 of that from what i’ve tested. It states that my modem is getting roughly 80 MBPS but my devices are only getting 30% to 10% of that. I’m not really sure what I should do at this point considering that the connection is this unreliable. I’ve had to turn on my back up cellular internet due to Viasat not being able to even load this support page. Here is a picture of my speed test on the Viasat browser.

I also want to mention that i’ve ran the test connected to the 2.4 ghz network (standing right next to the modem), broadcasted from the modem, and also ran a tp link deco mesh router, hardwired by ethernet cable to the modem. The speeds are pretty much the same.

Hi @blake

Sorry about this experience you’re having with Viasat. I’m having a look at your setup right now to understand this issue.

Your speeds seem to be mostly good, but the fluctuation could be caused by the current network outage happening in your region. We’re working to resolve this outage as soon as possible.

I tested your modem now (10:54 am EDT) and it had good Download speeds – but a drop in Upload speeds, which is often caused by the signal quality going down during an outage.

Modem speeds

About the speedchecks –

Would you be able to run a few more of these tests, during different periods of the day? I see that all of them come from around the same time (5 pm EDT - 6 pm EDT), so we could also be dealing with a fluctuation caused by the peak evening period.

Speedchecks

Yea I ran it again this morning with the same issue. However, this time, the modem got an excess of 100MBPS, but the device was still getting 60 or less on download. I couldn’t even load your forum response. Do you folks have an estimate on when the outage will be resolved?

Hi @blake

Sorry about the delayed response.

Your modem currently has a firmware issue that could be contributing to this problem. I’ve escalated to an internal team to update and reboot your modem.

Are you still experiencing slow speeds? I see that your last few speedchecks seem better:

Understood. I spoke with a very nice guy from Viasat support. We found that the modem is not broadcasting an SSID, and ran through other troubleshooting steps. No resolve. So he went ahead and scheduled a service call for this friday. We will see if he can resolve the firmware issue and speed issue.

Hi @blake

Thanks for the information! This could be related, yes.

I’ve written down the date and time of your service call (October 11th AM CDT) and will check back after it’s done, to verify how the connection is afterwards! :slight_smile: