FAQ: Static IP Configuration for Business Plans

How can I configure my Static IP?

1. Find the email you received from Viasat when you ordered your Static IP address. You will need the following parameters from that email:

2. Use the parameters on the email to configure your external (non-Viasat ) router, please keep in mind that routers can be different based on their make and model.

• Connect your computer to the router you’re using with your Viasat modem.
    • Open the router’s configuration menu - you can usually reach it by entering 192.168.100.1 on your URL bar on any browser
    • If it’s your first time using this router, follow its first-time set-up instructions.
    • Find the router’s configure WAN section (sometimes called “configure Internet settings” or “configure network settings”) and enter the static IP parameters Viasat provided to you via email.
    • If you were previously using a Viasat modem with built-in Wi-Fi, you will need to configure the external router’s Wi-Fi settings and set identifier (SSID) so that the SSID and Wi-Fi password are exactly the same as those that were in use on the Viasat modem. If there was no prior use of the built-in Viasat Wi-Fi, then feel free to create new Wi-Fi credentials.
  3. Reboot your modem within 30 minutes of applying the configuration.

4. Make sure the device where you configured the IP still holds the configuration and try to access the internet (eg: ping 8.8.8.8).

My router settings page doesn’t have a field to enter the subnet mask in the format Viasat provided, what can I do?

If you can’t find a text field in your router’s user interface in which you can insert your provided Static IP Subnet Mask, it may be because your router is expecting to receive the mask in slash notation. This notation works as a shorthand for the actual mask, and its respective text field can be usually found next to the IP Address, but if not, refer to your router’s user manual in order to find where to insert the mask.

The following table can be used as a cheat sheed to convert your standard Static IP Subnet Mask into slash notation:

Standard Mask Slash Notation Mask
255.255.255.252 /30
255.255.255.248 /29
255.255.255.240 /28
255.255.255.224 /27
255.255.255.192 /26
255.255.255.128 /25
255.255.255.0 /24
255.255.254.0 /23
255.255.252.0 /22
255.255.248.0 /21
255.255.240.0 /20
255.255.224.0 /19
255.255.192.0 /18
255.255.128.0 /17
255.255.0.0 /16

You can find more variations of slash notation masks, as well as important information about subnet masks such as their use in limiting the size of a network, in this memo from the Internet Engineering Task Force.

Important notes:
a. If you have a Viasat modem with multiple ethernet ports, make sure you connect your router to Port 1 (see example below).
b. Make sure to use ONLY PORT 1 on the modem. Do not connect other devices to any other ports or the internet might not work.

Finally, please note that your Modem needs to be in Bridge Mode to configure Static IP. If you ordered Static IP, your modem should already be in Bridge Mode, but if it is not, see the steps below:

How do I put my modem in Bridge Mode?

This depends on what type of Modem you are using. Below you can find Instructions to put each kind of modem in bridge mode

Before starting, check what Viasat modem you have:

Viasat Home Gateway (VHG)

Click here to expand instructions

No steps to change since it is always in bridge mode, but you will need to configure your external (non-Viasat) router.

Viasat Wireless Gateway (VWG)

1. Open a web browser and type in the address bar router.viasatmodem.com (to access the Viasat Wireless Gateway modem’s router GUI. Login with your credentials. (Factory default settings on the modem label if needed)
  2. Select Advanced and then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
  3. Select Enable Bridge Mode and click Save Changes.
  4. Wait for modem to reboot and come back online

SB2+ and your plan is not High-Speed plan (is below 35 Mbps)

1. SB2+ router GUI: using web browser, go to router.viasatmodem.com and make sure you’re in the Router Settings menu.
  2. Select Advanced and then Scroll to the Bridge Mode Status area.
  3. Select Enabled for turning on bridge mode and click Save Changes (NOTE: If your GUI shows an Auto-Detect mode enabled, select Disable and Save Changes, then Enable bridge mode and Save Changes.)
  4. Wait for modem to reboot and come back online.

SB2+ and your plan is a High-Speed plan (35 Mbps or higher)

There are no user configurable settings for changing bridge vs. router mode. Can only be changed via Viasat CARE agent. Call 1-855-313-4111

If you have an SB2+ and a High-Speed plan, that means you have an Aria router (pictured below).

If you are currently using the Aria router that was provided with your plan - Once your SB2+ (High-Speed plan) is in bridge mode: On your Aria router, connect cable to Port 2 (LAN 2) and reset it. Resetting the Aria router requires holding in the recessed reset button approximately 15-20 seconds until 3 alternating LED colors are seen.

SB2 Modem

No steps to change since it is always in bridge mode, but you will need to configure your external (non-Viasat) router.

Additional Relevant Information

¹Are Static IPs IPv6?
No, Viasat subscriber IPs are IPv4. We do not support IPv6. Static IPs are provisioned as /32 (single IPs).

²Can I ping the Static IP Gateway?
No, you cannot ping the gateway. If you need a testing IP for Internet connectivity, please use an external address such as 8.8.8.8 or the DNS Server IPs.

If you need to test the ability to reach your static IP terminal from an external location, you can ping your assigned Static IP if it is already being used by an attached device (computer, router, etc.) that has been configured to reply to pings. Please note that by default many devices restrict responses to pings for security reasons.

Connectivity issues after making changes?

If you experience connectivity issues after applying changes, double-check your settings and be sure to reboot your modem. If you need to reboot the modem remotely, a Viasat agent can do it for you.

If I have a Viasat modem with a built-in router, can I just set up the static IP in the built-in router?
No, you will need to enter the static IP configuration into an external router.

Still having issues?
If after checking all the above you still have issues, please try the following:

1. Connect a computer with an Ethernet cable to the modem, and try the internet using a dynamic IP and the static IP (configured in the computer).
  2. Create a topic here in the forum or send an email to support@viasatengineerchat.zendesk.com describing your setup (model/maker of router/firewall) and the result of the above tests. We’ll get in contact as soon as possible.
1 Like