Continual slow downloads

Will the download speeds ever improve in the afternoon hours? Since I got Viasat it seems the afternoon speeds continue to get slower and slower to the point I can’t even stream a low resolution movie. Typically I’m seeing speed tests around the 5-7 Mb dowload range, though it often dips lower, in the afternoons. The notion of getting anywhere near my subscribed max speed of 75 Mb seems like an impossibility!

Day 1 for me….this is ridiculously slow! Our horrible internet was much better at 10mb…I’m getting 4!

Hi @Markalex0711,

Generally speeds do tend to decrease during the peak busy period (evening hours), but
I can take a look at the speeds within your service area and hope to have an update soon.

To better understand your situation (and to rule-out Wi-Fi issues) could you please run a complete speed diagnosis using https://speedcheck.viasat.com/ and share the results with us? Here are some additional instructions to run this test: How to run a speed test from my modem?

Thanks,

Nacho

Hi @Sheaautry74,

I created a new forum topic so that we can work your issue separately: Slow speeds 4Mbps

Thanks,

Nacho

Had to run a couple of times to figure out how to get the viasat setup, and the computer download tended to get slower each time. But this is from viasat browser

Hi @Markalex0711,

Thanks for running that test.

How far away from your Viasat modem were you when you ran this test? See the difference in download speeds between your modem and your device, that could indicate a Wi-Fi issue.

If you were far from your modem, could you please run another one of these, but this time standing right next to your modem?

Thanks,

Nacho

The first test sent was approx 35’ away with a couple of interior walls between. The test below was from within the same room as the modem, no more than 10 feet away and no barriers. I also ran a test on my tv and got similar results as was shown on the device speed test the first time. So all devices regardless of location within the house are getting about the same download speed.

Hi @Markalex0711,

Sorry about the slow reply.

It does look like there is a pattern of bad speeds (compared to the modem) when on the Wi-Fi.

However, you ran both of your tests in the afternoon, would it be possible to run a final test in the morning? In the mornings there is absolutely no network congestion, so it’s the best time to get results that can validate a Wi-Fi issue. With that test we can be 100% percent sure that the Wi-Fi is the issue and can then provide a recommendation to fix it and improve your experience.

Thanks,

Nacho

Just rant it at 11 am CST with the following results. I have a note to run again first thing in the morning to one more comparative result.

1 Like

Sounds good, thanks for your help running these tests :grinning:

I expect that, but the top speed I have gotten is 20 and that is at 6 o’clock in the morning. I typically am stay between two and nine. :eyes: I am paying for 75 and have yet to reach that. When I called I was told speeds vary…I get that, but I do not want to pay for 75 and get 9. I can stay with my previous company for 1/2 the price at 10mbps.

Just ran another test at 9 am CST. Overcast but not raining here but looks pretty much the same as what I’ve been getting

Hi @Markalex0711,

Thanks for running all these tests.

This appears to be a confirmed Wi-Fi signal issue. Please consider getting an external router such as this one (TP-Link AC1200 Gigabit WiFi Router - Archer A6 ), which would help improve the Wi-Fi coverage in your house.

Thanks,

Nacho

Hi, it was gorgeous here and I was unable to use the internet last night because of slow speeds.

When I call the help line, they tell me everything is working and they can’t send a technician out.

Hi @Sheaautry74,

Sorry about that.

Did you see my reply in this other thread I created to keep track of your case? - Slow speeds 4Mbps - #6 by Nacho

I was hoping you could run some speed tests to rule out Wi-Fi issues.

Thanks,

Nacho