Worst customer service

I purchased a Netgear nighthawk modem router based on a conversation I had with a customer service representative stating that it would be compatible with Viasat service. This was a decision I made after they refused to upgrade me to the modem that would allow me to use the Viasat shield service which I was willing to add to my already $412 residential single family Internet bill. I needed a way to monitor and limit my children’s data usage. So my modem arrived and I installed it. It wasn’t connecting so I called Netgear we went through all the set up and needed to activate it with Viasat. I literally called Viasat three (3) times. They hung up the first time. Put me on hold for 20 minutes the second then hung up. The third they had me reconnect the Viasat equipment to “check connection” then transferred me to Netgear believe it or not.
Viasat you should be ashamed with yourselves.

I’ve included some pictures of the poles they’ve just installed across the street. Not sure if you can read the signs on them, but it’s a sign of what’s coming to rural rural America. Your days are numbered when I can get 10 times the internet speeds for 1/5 the price.

Hi @chrislayow,

I’m sorry about your experience. We’re constantly working to give you the best possible support and your feedback is appreciated.

In regards to the Viasat Shield issue, this service is only available for Viasat WiFi Gateway modems. Since you have an Exede modem, it is unfortunately not possible for you to use the Viasat Shield service.

As for your Netgear Nighthawk router, have you managed to successfully connect it to your modem and use its Wi-Fi network? If not, I can assist you in configuring it.

Please let me know if there are any other technical matters I can assist you with.

No I have not been able to connect my Netgear. I am told that I need to activate it through viasat I’m not at home at the moment I would like to be able to have someone activate it on my account without any runaround. Is this possible?

Yes, I can remotely configure your modem to use your Netgear router instead of the built-in router.

However, I can see that a device is already connected to your modem, which I presume is your router (unless you have a computer or some other device directly connected to the modem).

Can you confirm if your Netgear router is already physically connected to your modem?

I was not at home. I just arrived at home. I’m going to connect the Netgear modem now. Give me 5 minutes and then you can configure the Netgear modem. I am completely disconnecting all via sat equipment. It is a Netgear modem router

Are you able to call me or can I call you

Hey @chrislayow

Our team does not work with calls, so I’m unable to assist you over the phone, only here on the forum.

I have set your modem to Bridge Mode, which means that if your Netgear router is connected to your modem, it should act as the sole Wi-Fi network in your home. Since the modem has go through a couple of reboot cycles, you should check in 15-20 minutes if this hard worked.

Moreover, it should be noted that the Wi-Fi network’s name provided by the Netgear router will very likely be different from the one that’s included in the Viasat Modem. You should refer to Netgear’s router or manual in order to find what’s the network SSID and password in order to connect your devices.

Please let me know if you were able to perform these procedures and reestablish connection with your devices, or if there’s anything else I can help you with.

That is not how I want to use it. I want to use my Netgear modem as my modem and router. I don’t understand why this is so complicated

This is not a problem with any other internet service provider

I’m sitting down to dinner now. Please put a note in my account that I will be calling technical support with my Mac address for Netgear combination modem router. I expect someone to be able to activate it on my account. Otherwise, I’ll be calling my State attorney general office with a complaint and also my personal family friend, senator Schumer from the state of New York. He went to college with my grandfather

It is my understanding with Viasat, You can only use their Equipment so be their main Modems they use, But you can attach a router to them to gap any hurdles with speed or signal strength…

I personally use a Netgear Nighthawk router attached to my main modem, And generally use the 5ghz band and get speeds on average of around 60-120 depending time of day and weather conditions.

But I understand the point you are coming from and wanting to use your own stuff, But with dish based internet it’s a tad tougher since it is built into both the modem they use for software and the terminal hub on the dish, Why they make you use their equipment, If it was dsl or broadband it is easier to buy your own modem for daily use.

Hi @chrislayow,

Unfortunately this is not possible.

The modem transposes the waves coming from the satellite into digital signals that your home devices (router, laptop, phone) can understand. The router merely manages the internet traffic, establishing a password-protected Wi-Fi network and distributing a wireless signal across your home.

Your Viasat modem has a built-in Wi-Fi router, so it’s possible to turn the built-in router part off and use an external Wi-Fi router along with your Viasat modem (such as the Netgear router you just purchased). However, your new Netgear router doesn’t have a built-in Viasat modem, so you will need to connect it to your Viasat modem in order to use it.

Connecting your Netgear router to the Viasat modem with an ethernet cable and connecting to the Wi-Fi network advertised by the Netgear router (the default name of the wi-fi network and the password often come on a sticker on the router itself). should suffice to get it to work.

Hope this helps,

Nacho

Hi @chrislayow,

It seems I have missed a detail about your configuration. It looks like you have an ARIA router connected to your modem already, is this correct?

This is what the ARIA router looks like:

If you have it connected, you can simply disconnect it and connect your Netgear router instead. To do so:

1. Power off your ARIA Router and disconnect the Ethernet cable from it.
  2. Power up your Netgear Router and connect the Ethernet cable that was previously connected on the ARIA router on the WAN Port of the Netgear router. For reference, this is where the WAN Port is located:
  3. Once that’s done, reboot your modem and check if you can connect to your Netgear router’s Wi-Fi network.

Let me know if this procedure works for you.

Okay, I’m really not sure how I can explain this better. I’m replacing all of the equipment provided by via sat with a combination Netgear modem router. It took calling technical support four times for them to understand that. I guess as well they’re sending out a installer since I have easy care to install my modem router. I hope this is the end of this. This is not complicated with any other internet service provider. As a matter of fact, it’s a quick phone call with all of the major companies. I’m hoping I don’t need to call anyone else at this point. I also don’t understand why as a customer pays $400 a month for internet at a residential location, your company wouldn’t just upgrade my modem so that I could have shield.

That’s neither here nor there now. I’ve spent another $400 on third-party modem and hopefully the installer will hook it up. This has been the most frustrating process I’ve ever gone through with a service provider.

Whatever the reason for not being able to use my own equipment I don’t really Care, no one has been able to explain that to me on the phone. In the five times I’ve called I find that very frustrating. Four of the times I called I just got hung up on when they were unable to explain things. I cannot wait till spectrum is finished installing the poles and lines on my street

Which one is the WAN port

That does not seem to have a Wan port, Typically if it does the port color would be “Yellow”

Also as for customer support, General rule of thumb is they are under trained, Don’t have knowledge on the systems or services they provide, And will upsell by saying certain things to get customers.

Hi @chrislayow,

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I didn’t understand that you were trying to use an external non-Viasat modem. It is very unusual for us to hear about customers trying to use an external modem, so I mistakenly assumed you meant a router (especially because many of our customers use Netgear routers).

I just consulted with our team of expert engineers in modems and unfortunately confirmed that a non-Viasat modem will not be compatible with the Viasat satellite network. This is primarily due to the different technology that a regular cable internet connection uses compared to the geosynchronous ka-band satellite technology that Viasat uses to transmit bits over the air to your antenna. So you will only be able to use a Viasat modem to transpose the bits received from a Viasat satellite.

You mentioned that you need to monitor and limit your children’s data usage, I will do some research to see if I can find some workarounds to help you achieve that. To start, this might be an option: How to use parental control settings on my Viasat modem?

Thanks and sorry again about the misunderstanding.

Nacho