Very slow speed and high price

My speed is 2.6 mb and my upload is 0.4
This is getting worse each month. The price is not a bargain either.
Is there any other company that services rural homes in Central Florida?

Hi @office5833

I apologize for this experience you’re having with Viasat.

I see that you tried running a full speed diagnosis but it didn’t capture your modem speeds for the cross-check, were you using an iOS device?

That device speed is pretty low, so it’d be good for us to know if your modem is the one sending a low speed or if it’s just the specific device in which you ran the test that is either too far away or experiencing a Wi-Fi issue. Were you right by the modem when you ran that test?

Right now, from our end, your modem has really good speeds (from 4x to 6x higher than your plan’s expected max):

I don’t see any inherent issue with your setup other than this low device speed, so I’d like to ask you to run a full speed diagnosis but this time with the modem speeds as well, to help in identifying the problem. :slight_smile:

I know you’re already aware of how to run the test, but just in case you’ve missed any of the steps, here is the full guide for the Modem VS Device Speed Check:

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

Hi, @office5833,

How are the speeds now? When you have a chance, please run the modem speed test as mentioned by Nathalia.

You’re getting good speeds on your modem, so there could be some issue with the Wi-Fi, but we need that test to know that.

Thanks!

I did the test from my desktop computer that is connected with wi fi.
I will run the test from the modem when I get back in town on Monday.

Adrian

1 Like

Got it, @office5833, thanks!

OK done. what can you do to give me better speed. Maybe we need to change the modem?

Hello @office5833

I see that your modem speed is very good (a bit higher than your plan’s max):

Looks like your device is only getting about 22% of that speed, however.

Were you very far from the modem when you ran this test?

No. Actually very close. About 5 feet from it.

1 Like

Hi @office5833

Whenever you have time, can you run another full Speed Check (modem vs device), but this time while your PC is connected directly to the modem via cable?

Or, you can run another Speed Check from a phone/tablet, at the same place you ran this last one.

If your PC has good speeds when connected via cable, and/or if your other devices also get bad speeds when right by the modem, then we may have a Wi-Fi issue on our hands.

Done. Run speed check with the pc connected to the modem via cable.
As you can see the speed is very slow.
What can you do about it?

Adrian

Got it, @office5833,

I’ll take a look at the results. As soon as I have some feedback I’ll let you know.

Thanks!

Hi, @office5833,

We made some changes to your network. Please, when you have a chance, run some tests to check if you notice any improvements.

I see that you’re out of priority data now, so it’s normal if the speeds drop a little bit.

We’ll wait for your feedback.

Thanks!