Tremendously Slow speeds

My speeds are slower now that I have changed to the Unleashed plan. Ridiculously slow. A tech came out about 2 months ago and changed some equipment around. It improved for a week or so and went right back to the slow speeds.
I saw a reply on a post to download the Viasat browser and use the fancy speed test. That would be great, but my speeds are so slow I can’t even download the Viasat browser…

1 Like

Hi @cliftonranch,

Your speeds on your modem at this time look like this, which seems good:

However this doesn’t represent the speeds you are getting on your devices over the Wi-Fi. So, when you get a chance can you please use a laptop or Android phone to run a complete speed diagnosis using https://speedcheck.viasat.com? This will help us get a full reading on the speed situation and allow us to identify/rule out Wi-Fi issues.

You can find the instructions on how to run it here: How to run a complete speed diagnosis?

Thanks,

Nacho

I just ran a speed test from the link you provided:

Hi Nacho,

Can you explain this information?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), in a Report to Congress, has adopted new standards for determining when internet services are fast enough to qualify as broadband services. The report sets the speed threshold at 100 megabits per second (Mbps) for downstream traffic and 20 Mbps for upstream traffic for fixed services; 35 Mbps downstream and three Mbps upstream for mobile service; and one gigabit per second (Gbps) downstream per 1,000 students and staff for services provided to schools. The report also sets a long-term goal of one Gbps downstream and 500 Mbps upstream for fixed broadband, but did not set a time when these new speeds would become the standard. These new minimum speeds will be used going forward by the FCC and could influence other agencies.

The speed standards for fixed service and schools represent significant increases from the previous minimum service levels, which were 35 Mbps downstream and three Mbps upstream for fixed service, and 500 Mbps per 1,000 students and staff for schools. The report also marks the first time that a mobile standard has been adopted. However, some existing and planned federal programs already incorporate these speeds. For example, the FCC’s Rural Digital Opportunity Fund includes a service tier using the 100 Mbps/20 Mbps standard for fixed services. The new mobile standard is the same that the FCC plans to use for its 5G Fund universal service program, and most schools already meet the one Gb standard.

Hi, @cliftonranch,

It looks like you did not run the full diagnosis test, as Nacho mentioned above.

I just tested your modem speeds and they are good at this moment:

The difference in modem and device speeds could be related to Wi-Fi issues, or a temporary drop in the speeds due to network congestion (which might occur at night).

To make sure you have the best speeds you could either connect the device to the modem (using an Ethernet cable), move the device closer to the modem, or install an external router (some options here).

About the last message you sent, I did not understand what you meant by explain this information, can you clarify that, please?

Hello,

I used the link Nacho provided for me to test my speeds. The computer I tested my speeds with is connected by ethernet cable to the modem. It is a desktop PC and has been hooked up to this modem since it was installed.

Did you take time to read the information I provided from the FCC? Apparently the speeds Viasat is actually providing are below minimum standards by FCC law.

My speeds are slow in the morning and so slow in the afternoons and evenings, I can’t even work. I teach online for a college and I can’t grade work or create content in my course because uploads and downloads are so slow they time out.

The service I am being provided with is not the quality of service I am paying for.

1 Like

Hi @cliftonranch,

We can’t comment on that since we just provide technical support, but the responsible departments are definitely aware of these FCC publications.

Regarding your results, were you logged in on Speedcheck when you performed the tests? I wasn’t able to find the result from here (aside from the screenshot you have provided).

As of now, your modem is reporting speeds within the Unleashed range:

Could you perform one more complete speed diagnosis on Speedcheck, ensuring that you’re logged in? This will help us determine if there are issues other than speed, such as Wi-fi.