Stream Hub data saving

I just received my free stream hub from Viasat today. I plugged it in and after a while it connected. Now in the Stream hub notification window on my account page it states that I have saved 11.5G. I have not used Disney+ yet so am presuming that this is a bogus indication but wanted to let you folks know since this is a Beta service and I expect you are collecting as much feedback as you can.
Bagster

Hi @bagster,

Thank you for your feedback!

I can confirm I see the same values on my side. I’ll escalate it to the responsible team, and report back if I hear anything important to you from them.

Your feedback is super important, please keep reporting if you notice anything else that draws your attention!

Thank you,
Avner

Sometimes when I go to my account page the status of the streaming hub is in red and it states that it is disconnected and other times it shows that it is connected ok.

When that happens does it take some time for it to appear as connected or is just a matter of reloading the page?

Refreshing the page does not seem to help. The majority of the time that I go to my account page it shows out of lock. If I had to guess I would say that it shows out of lock probably 80% of the time.

Hi @bagster,

Thank you for the reply!

The specialized team couldn’t detect anything wrong on their side.

Upon their request, please take note of the current amount of data savings and then stream Disney+, let’s see how your system responds to actual usage.

Thank you,
Avner

Hello again avnerjose,
Per your suggestion I noted my data usage both before and after using streaming on Disney+. I ran it from 10:32am-11:10am EST. My data use was at 1.5G to start and was at 1.9G after I stopped. I should state here that there was another member of the family using our network at the time as well which might account for the data use. I’m not sure how far down your engineers can drill as far as my usage but those are the items that I made note of for the test.

Another note of interest here is that initially I attempted to access Disney+ on my desktop using the Viasat browser but it failed with a code 83 from Disney+. I then used Firefox to access Disney and it worked fine. I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks again

Hi @bagster,

Since you mentioned the values 1.5G and 1.9G I see that you’re not talking about the data saved by the StreamOn service but probably your daily usage in general, is that correct?

Thank you for the other feedback, I took a screenshot of your yesterday’s data saved by StreamOn, it was 11.49GB and now I see 11.54GB. Not sure if that’s already the result of the usage you just mentioned because I ain’t sure about how long it takes to get to our system, but I’ll ask the responsible team again.

Thank you once again for your feedback,
Avner

Hi Avner,
The SteamOn service has been reading that number ever since I plugged it in a couple of days ago even before I started using any data through it. Yes those figures are from data usage since it appears that the StreamOn value is bogus. Also I just went to my account and it showed that it was out of lock again. Here is a screen shot that I just took.

Thanks for your help

Hi @bagster,

Thank you for the feedback, I’m already sending this new info to the proper team and I hope to come with some news regarding this soon.

Thanks,
Avner

Hi @bagster,

The error code you saw while trying to access Disney+ on Viasat Browser seems to have been a local network issue or a browser-specific issue, they recommended trying it again later.

Also, for now, since your Disney+ usage is very minor compared to the rest of the network activity they were still not able to tell if there’s an issue going on.

Let’s then keep investigating, you can use your network regularly and watch Disney+ as you would normally, and we’ll keep watching the behavior in the long term.

Thank you,
Avner

Hi Avner,
OK I’ll try the browser again later and also keep an eye on things when we use Disney+.
Thanks

Hi Avner,
So I tried Disney+ about 5 hours later and still got the same alarm while using the Viasat browser on my computer. Here’s a screen shot:

Hello Avner,
I just watched an hour of Disney+. I took readings of “Data Usage” and also of “Data Saved” before and after the use. For the first time the “Data Saved” read something other than 11.6G which it has read since I plugged in the hub. Curiously, the “Data Saved” incremented by .3G and so did the “Data Usage” value. At the moment I am wondering if the hub is actually performing as it was designed to do and allowing me uncharged usage when I watch Disney+ or if I am being docked data usage as when I watch other streams.

Hi @bagster , may I check your data usage from today to see if something else has used up those 300 MBs?

Sure. Go right ahead and see what you can find.

Hi @bagster

I’ve sent you a private message. :slight_smile:

Hi Avner,
Another issue with the Viasat Browser. Netflix won’t load with it either.
Thanks

Hi @bagster

You don’t need to use the Viasat Browser for everyday usage – it’s only necessary for the speedcheck.viasat.com modem tests. :slight_smile:

Hi Nathalia,
Yes I was aware of that but wanted to try it as a default browser just to see how I liked it and I thought that you might find the feedback helpful.