Slow speed with Unleashed Plan

I upgraded to the new Unleashed plan last night. I received 25mbps download speed for all of 5 minutes. It’s now averaging around 8mbps. is there any reason for it to be going this slow? It is advertised to get me 25mbps MINIMUM, and up to 100mpbs. Was I lied to, and my normal speed will still be under 10mbps no matter what plan i’m on? I ran a speed test on the Viasat website as well and it said around 8mbps download. This isn’t acceptable for the nearly $160 per month that this plan costs.

Hi @stephenmartyr82,

Sorry for the experience with your new Unleashed plan.

I’ve ran a speed test on your modem and noticed that the download speeds are within the advertised range of 25 to 100Mbps. Did you experience slow speeds while using a wired or wireless connection to your device?

Also, in order to troubleshoot your issue further, can you please run a few tests using the guide below?

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

Ok i’m doing the speed tests. I am attaching the results to this message as screenshots. As you can see i am only getting 9mpbs download. Yes the modem is getting 18mbps, but i can’t use that speed for some reason. I am paying for 25mbps-100mbps. Will I ever even see 25?

Also, on my Playstation 5 the speed is even slower. It’s also wireless. I don’t have an ethernet cable to connect it directly. But being wifi it shouldn’t be that much of a slowdown from the modem. It’s only like not even 10 feet away from the modem, in the same room.

Thank you for running the speed test and providing the screenshot :blush:

I understand your frustration. I’ll analyze your situation and get back to you as soon as possible.

ok thank you. I’ll be here. I really hope to see even 20% of the 100mbps on average. Not only like 10 minutes out of the day at that speed and the rest of the time the speed is below 10mbps.

Hi @stephenmartyr82,

I’m still investigating your issue, but I wanted to check with you about something unusual I’ve spotted on your speed test.

I have noticed that at the time you performed the test, more than half of the available bandwidth (20Mbps) was used for downloading, instead of being used for the test. Were you aware of any downloads happening on any of your devices? Particularly, your Playstation 5 or your laptop?

yes i was downloading on my ps5 at the time. I have since ran another test without downloading and the speed wasn’t much better, maybe 5mbps faster.

here is another test. Somehow the modem speed is slower than the device now.

I’ll still be here whenever you can get back to me again. I’d love to take a look at my speed and just be like wow. I want to feel like it was worth upgrading. If the speed stays the way it is, i might just bump my plan back down to where it was before, because this speed is exactly the same as what i was getting before, even without high speed data.

Hi @stephenmartyr82,

From my initial assessment, it looks like you may be either suffering from congestion issues on your service area or having Wi-Fi issues.

To determine which one is the root cause, I’d like to ask you to run a couple more speed tests, if possible: two tests during separate hours at night time, and two more tests during separate hours in the morning. This way, I can use the data to define the best next step in fixing your speed issues.

Once again, I’m sorry for the experience you’re having, and I highly appreciate your cooperation thus far.

it’s ok. I will run a test this evening in like 4-5 hours. Then I will run another when i get up at 7am in the morning. I know it’s not congestion because where I live, I have no neighbors, and the closest town is Holdenville which has a population of maybe 1,000. I know it’s not that. For some reason my house is like an internet black hole. I can’t get any service other than you guys or Hughesnet, and the speeds just always suck.

Good Morning. here is a speedtest result from this morning. As you can see the modem speed is fine, but the speed that my devices get is nowhere near that. Why is the speed being blocked?

I’m just going to figure there’s nothing that can be done. the speed is what it is. I will probably never see anywhere near speeds that are worth the $100 per month this plan costs. Why do ISPs advertise one speed, but the consumer ends up actually getting way less?

Hi @stephenmartyr82

Thanks for the results.

All your tests show a much lower device speed vs your modem speed.

I saw that you mentioned being 10ft away from the modem, so we’ll escalate your issue to check for Wi-Fi issues.

If you read it carefully it states speeds of upto not that you will get said speeds!

Me on average my speeds were about 15-2ombs using their standard modem, Have added to my setup with my own router “Net gear Nighthawk” And now my speeds on average are around 80-100 mbs

1 Like

Thank you. Yeah the device speed is very very slow. If i’m paying for 25mbps-100mbps, I expect to normally get at least 25mbps. If all i’m getting is less than 10mbps, then what is the point in paying for this plan? I might as well drop back down to what i had before.

I guess I might need a better modem then. I bet that really is what the issue is. The standard viasat router can’t handle faster speeds. Like i just told the techie, what would be the point in paying for the expensive plan, when all i’m getting are speeds equal to the cheaper plans?

NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750 is what I am using, If plan to purchase I suggest to look for it used and check ebay, Amazon and other sites still sell this one at a very high price… But well worth it to have a better speed along with some features it has attached for free like shutting off internet to certain devices or restricting devices time on the network"Great for parents"

1 Like

So it’s totally compatible with Viasat?