Slow speed past 2 weeks

Our Internet speed a has been exceptionally slow for the past two weeks. I called and a service technician was sent to our house today. He exchanged out a few pieces of equipment as directed by your technical support. It has made no difference. Our speeds have been less than 1 MBPS, totally unacceptable. I understand there have been a large amount of service calls in our area, about a one 50-100 mile radius. It seems something is wrong with your signal coming from the satellite. What is being done to correct this issue?

Hi, @kmearly12,

Thanks for your message. I’m checking that now, once I have some feedback I’ll let you know.

Hi @kmearly12

A change was applied yesterday to your network configuration at around 6 PM EDT.

Can you run a few speed tests to check if they have gotten better? Have you noticed any improvement?

Please, follow the guide below and let us know if you experience any issues while testing:

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

Thank you!

Hi,

Yes, I noticed some improved speeds this morning. They were as follows:

TIME MBPS download MBPS upload

7:00 AM 35.7 2.1
8:00 AM 2.1 2.4
8:05 AM 5.02 1.66
9:00 AM 0.92 2.07
10:13 AM 1.84 3.20
11:18 AM 34.3 3.26
1:11 PM 31.8 3.64

As you can see, there were good initially and then not good. My last two checks were very good. I will continue to monitor throughout the day and evening.

I appreciate your assistance with this.

Kathy Early

Hi Again,

This is my second reply - first reply was at 1:20 PM.

I just tested again and I am getting 1.43 Mbps download and 2.83 Mbps upload. It is just so inconsistent throughout the day. It just doesn’t seem to be totally repaired.

Thank you,

Hi, @kmearly12,

Thanks for the feedback. I was testing your modem speeds and they look better at this moment.

Please, when you have a chance run a speed test from the modem as follows:
1 - Open the Viasat browserthis test won’t work on other browsers;
2 - Go to this website: Viasat Speed Check | Home
3 - Log in using your My Viasat account
4 - Run the test (wait for both tests - modem and device - to complete)

By running this test as described above we’ll be able to see if you have any router issues.

Hi,

So when I tested the speed using the VIASAT browser, I got a download speed of 43.1 and upload of 5.0. I then logged into my.viasat and did the test again and got download of 23.5 and upload of 5.1.

I appreciate all the help you have provided me.

Hi, @kmearly12,

I see. Variation around 25 Mbps is ok.

For some reason I was not able to fetch the results from your tests, did you notice if there was a big difference between device and modem speeds? Please send me a direct message with the results if you want us to take a look at them.

Let us know if everything seems fine now. We’re here to help if there is still any issue.

Thanks

Hi @kmearly12

How has your connection been since the network changes?

I see that you were averaging good speeds last time we spoke (and sometimes reaching higher than your plan’s max of 25Mbps!). Is this still the case?

It is definitely better than it was. I appreciate your help with this.

1 Like

Hi @kmearly12

That’s great to hear! :tada:

For now I’m going to mark your last reply as topic Solved, but if you need any help with this or other issues, please let us know!

Hi,

I have been monitoring our speed all day (April 29) and we are back to less than 1 Mbps. While you were looking into this, the speeds were acceptable. They are now back to very unacceptable. If this remains the same and does not improve on a regular basis, I will be looking into another internet service who can provide better speeds all the time.

Hi,

I rebooted the box this morning and our speeds improved. We will try to do that whenever we notice a slow speed. Is there a way to tell if the box is going bad?

Thank you.

K Early