Slow speed & no TV

New customer, paying for top 150 Mbs package, but getting 13.9 (and only 0.30 up) – pretty much unusable, way slower than my previous DSL. Also, television is no longer connecting to modem. Help please!

Hello @bgilmer1014 ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Can I trouble you to do a full speed diagnosis for us on https://speedcheck.viasat.com, using the Viasat browser?

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.

• After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for My Viasat.

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

Is your TV currently connected via Wi-Fi? Can you try connecting with a direct Ethernet cable, and see if it functions normally? This test would also be very useful to help point us in the right direction.

Thanks!

Sure thing, here you go, see below – I’ve been tracking the speed yesterday and today; the highlighted entry is the one I just did using your application:

It’s not a smart TV, has no Wi-Fi capability – so your technician connected it with a direct Ethernet cable, and it was working when he left. Now it’s not working, I’ve made no changes to the setup.

1 Like

All right, thank you for the info.

Did you manage to run the test while using the Viasat Browser? I can’t seem to find the full results on your account – we’d like to compare your device speeds (the ones you’re keeping track of) VS your modem speeds, to know if your modem is at fault here.

I ran it using the Viasat browser – but wasn’t logged in! Tried to log in just now, and got this error message, see screen shot below. Will try again here in a sec…

1 Like

OK, logged in this time, Viasat browser, at speedcheck.viasat.com, got 32.2 down and 5.1 up, here’s a screenshot:

1 Like

Hi @bgilmer1014 ,

Do you happen to be using a VPN?

No. I mean, that that I know of. (I saw that VPN message, and wondered the same) – how can I check to see if there is a VPN involved?

Hang on, I was using a FortiClient VPN, to access some files at work. Switching it off now, will run speed test again, stay tuned.

1 Like

Okay, with FortiClient disabled, signed in, here you go:

Thanks @bgilmer1014 !

I can now see all your results (ignore the times – I’m two hours ahead :wink: ).

It looks like your device is getting the full speeds from your modem, which is a good sign.

According to my analysis, your internet setup doesn’t have any inherent issues.

However, those are indeed lower speeds than your plan, and I believe it may be related to a configuration on your network segment, and not on your end, individually speaking.

Could you also check for me please if you experience these same results when using the 2.4 GHz network? It should have a name similar to the 5.0 GHz network that you are using, something like “vsat-24-xxxx”.

Here’s the 2.4 GHz:

Hi @bgilmer1014 ,

The test you ran right after that one shows about twice the speeds you were previously experiencing. It’s a good sign but still part of the investigation.

Can I trouble you to run a couple more tests on both 5.0 GHz and 2.4 GHz, during the evening?

Nathalia, thank you so much for the assists today – really appreciate it.

Alas I am leaving this residence shortly, and won’t return for a week or so.

I did manage to run 3 more rounds of tests (2.4 and 5.0) during the last hour or two, see grid below.

Also, got an error message on the modem test (with the second round), see screenshot below. It goes with the 4:43 test, with that low download number.

What’s the next step? (service tech is coming on 12/12, to see if he can improve the dish alignment – is that likely to help?)

Keep me posted, thanks!

Bill

Hi @bgilmer1014,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the issues you saw while trying to run the speed test from your modem, it’s most likely due to a session expiration, once you get a chance try logging out and then logging back in to run both tests successfully.

We are still investigating the causes of your issue, on our system there’s no indication of an antenna misaligned, so we can’t guarantee the tech visit will reflect on better speeds for sure, but it could potentially help, the technician will be able to take a closer look at your hardware and maybe find an issue we didn’t identify yet.

Apart from that we are still investigating everything on our side, please keep running those tests so we can keep track of your network behavior.

Thank you,
Avner

Hey guys, I’m back at [redacted private data], awaiting your service tech to check dish alignment.

Been testing for the last hour or so; logging out and closing the app between each test. Got a few download numbers that were higher than before, but still too slow to be usable (and way slower than we’re paying for).

Here’s today so far:

The unexpected error on the modem test were all “Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0”

Thoughts or suggestions?

(still no TV connection – even brought a newer smart TV with me, and no joy – probably my ignorance re setup!)

Bill

Hi @bgilmer1014 !

I can see that on most of your results today, your device speed is not getting your full modem speeds, like so:

Regardless of the speed on your modem, it seems your device is only getting 40-65% of that on all the tests done on December 12.

Are you close to the modem when you’re running the tests, or far away?

Your previous results showed much worse speeds, but the device speeds were always near the modem speeds, like this one from December 3. :thinking:

By the way,

We’ve seen this issue with another customer today, it’s possibly a time-out on the modem while trying to run the tests. We can try to do a reboot from our side, which takes about 8–10 minutes, if you’re still seeing this error.

Also, how did the tech visit go earlier today?