Slow speed, 5-10 delay on video, poor satellite placement

When I had the satellite installed, the installer tried 2-3 times to get out of the appointment. When he did arrive, he put the satellite on the lowest possible portion of my roof. The house is surrounded by trees and for the previous tennant who had your service they put the satellite on top of a tripod on the roof [which is still there]. Within the first week I called to complain about slow speed and modem going “in and out” constantly [ my security cameras kept getting knocked off the internet]. Now here I am 2 months later I have tried ever “fix” and adjustment I can find. I pay extra for some service that is supposed to make service appointments free. I called asking for help with latency, delay [5-10 second delay on internet work calls and 4-5 minute delay at time on streaming [sound and video not syncing up] ]. I need to know 1. why you are refusing to move the satellite free of charge since YOUR installer messed up and 2. if there is ANY hope of making ANY of this work correctly.

Hi @Claire ,

I’ve investigated your situation in our system and I don’t see any mispoints or antenna issues, the only drops in connection are from weather-related issues last week.

Have you noticed if your bad speeds happen during a specific period of the day or if they happen during the whole day? Also are you using Wi-Fi or a cabled connection?

Lastly, if possible, could you run an advanced speed check using https://speedcheck.viasat.com? This will help us get a few more pieces of information about your service.

You can find the instructions on how to run it here: How to run a complete speed diagnosis?

Thanks,
Leonardo

It is completely random all day one minute its good the next it’s awful. Cannot get more than 30 minutes of consistent service.

Wifi connection and have tried wired get same results.
And last weeks storms it just quit working all together.

Any update on this? This literally has impact on my employment.

Hi @Claire ,

I’ve conducted a deep investigation and also escalated to another team for confirmation and there are no issues with your antenna installation, it is aligned and working properly.

What I have found, according to our analysis, is that the bad speeds seen in the afternoon and evening might be caused by network congestion.

During the peak period, although this does not guarantee good service, we’d recommend connecting fewer devices to your network, not using VPN if you normally do so, and connecting your device via Ethernet cable as it is a more stable form of connection.

I understand how frustrating this can feel and I apologize for the situation. Our engineers are constantly working on solving this problem and we hope it can be improved soon.

Thanks,
Leonardo

So what I am hearing is that this system is not meant to be consistent NOR reliable and your suggestion is that I just not work in the afternoons via VPN as my employer requires.

I understand how this is frustrating for you, but unfortunately it is not an individual problem and it is an issue that we are actively working to fix but we cannot provide an estimated date for when we’ll be able to fix this.

We appreciate your patience and understanding on the matter.

Thanks,
Leonardo