Slow Computer Speeds

I have the 50 plan but computers only show 4, and the TV is off. Feel like I am getting a fraction of the performance that should be there.

Hi @ZVanT99,

I’m sorry to hear about this bad experience.

I just ran a speed test from your modem and I see good results:

I know this doesn’t represent your experience, therefore I’d like to ask you to run the same test on your end.

You can do the following:

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

Also, does this happen all the time or in specific moments of the day? Please notice that a speed decrease is expected at peek hours (evenings).

Thank you,
Avner

This was very helpful. Laptop is showing fairly good speed. Looks like the desktop needs a WiFi Antenna to improve reception. It used to be cabled at my previous house (which had 1GB broadband).

So this test is showing me I am running faster than I had thought.

Hi @ZVanT99,

Indeed, from these tests, we can think already about some reasons for your bad speeds.

In your second screenshot we can see a good download speed from your modem:

This means that Viasat is providing the proper speeds for you but your devices are not receiving them properly. This most definitely means that you are having Wi-Fi issues, maybe you are too far away from your router or have too many devices connected, or it could even be a limitation of your router itself.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Than you,
Avner

Older desktop was really designed to be cabled. I have ordered a USB WiFi antenna for it and should see improvements once installed.

We have 2 TVs, 3 Computers, washer/dryer, thermostat and phones all using WiFi.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @ZVanT99.

I’ll mark this topic as solved for now. If you have any other issues, please feel free to report them here in the forum.

Thanks