Questions about stream on and modem

Hi there just wondering for new installs is the viasat wifi gateway provided or is the surfbeam2+ still provided? Looking to participate in the streamon hub beta but not sure if it’s available in viasat 1 areas. Max speeds are 30Mbps for my area.

Not sure if I can self install upgrade to the viasat wifi gateway if the installer only has the surfbeam2 modem.

Thanks!

Hi, @bv1717,

The modem you get depends on the plan you choose. You can call the customer care line at 855-463-9333 and they will be able to tell you which plan are available for you, and which equipment each of those plans require.

To have access to the StreamOn feature, you must have a Viasat Gateway modem. Unfortunately, the SB2+ modems can not yet use the StreamOn.

Please let us know if you need any other assistance.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks and just to confirm for the current SB2/SB2+ modems is it possible to request customer care add the enhanced wifi or ARIA wifi routers or are those given out by default now since checking the specifications those modems seem to have an older wifi standard.

Not sure if you can use your own wifi router with the service but as the website does state the gateway with wifi is included so not sure if it is a two piece setup meaning modem + router or a combo unit that includes both.

I was told by customer care that I am in a Viasat 1 area which is a Surfbeam 2 modem for speeds up to 30Mbps.

1 Like

Hi, @bv1717,

The Aria routers are provided for the Viasat-1 high-speed plans.

The SB2(+)/Gateway modems have internal routers, but you can use your own external router if you want – you just need to access the modem admin panel (http://192.168.100.1 in the browser), set it to bridge mode and connect the external router into the modem.

1 Like

Hi there @Anderson

Thanks and just to confirm are the 12Mbps plans considered part of the high speed qualification or are only 25Mbps plans and higher.

Hi, @bv1717,

The high-speed plans are the 50, 75, and 100 Mbps ones.

1 Like