New customer speed does not go higher than 4.25Mbps

Hi,

I am an new customer, signed up for the unlimited internet to be able to work from home. I have not been using it for anything but to perform regular office tasks from my work computer - my download speed is around 4mbs - I cannot work from home with the speed like this. Took me an hour last night to log in and open an access database to post my work hours as I was not able to open it all on Friday afternoon. I have to spend about 20 mins each time while restarting 2-3 times just to log into my work account.

Hi, @ninakul91,

Sorry for the bad experience! I’ll investigate that now, and once I have some feedback I’ll let you know.

Thanks

Hi, @ninakul91,

I’ll need your help to continue investigating this issue. I ran some speed tests on your modem, and the speeds were good (around 100mbps).

Is the speed issue happening at a specific time of the day or to a specific device?

Also, please run a modem speed test as follows:
1 - Open the Viasat browserthis test won’t work on other browsers;
2 - Go to this website: Viasat Speed Check | Home
3 - Log in using your My Viasat account
4 - Run the test (wait for both tests - modem and device - to complete)

By running the test as described above, we’ll be able to get a comparison between your device and modem speeds and find out if there is any Wi-Fi issue.

Thanks for your cooperation

Hi,

I won’t be home for 3 days to be able to test it. But I ran a test through my personal laptop and the speed was 40 mbps. I tried my personal phone and the speed was abour 20. I work for the government and we have to use vpn to be able to work from home - that is where I don’t get more than 4 mbps and it is a big issue. Obviously, to be able to work form home I have to use vpn and there is no way around it.

1 Like

Ok, I see. Please run the modem test when you’re back and let us know.

Thanks

Hi,

I ran the speed test again from my work computer using Viasat browswer . Download - 3.6, upload - 3.8.
Could not run a modem test. I guess, because it is a work computer using VPN and I can’t turn it off. What am I supposed to do?

VPN my organization uses is Absolute Secure Access Client and I looked at the settings - my organization disabled an ability to disconnect for obvious reasons.

Hi @ninakul91,

Unfortunately there are lots of issues using satellite internet over a VPN, which generally reduce the speeds you receive. Our engineers are working on ways to improve the experience with VPNs over our network but these fixes will likely come in the long term.

Are you using the Wi-Fi? Have you tried using an ethernet cable instead? I would recommend using an ethernet cable to make sure your device gets the best possible speeds.

Also, I know you mentioned that it’s not possible to disconnect your VPN, but maybe you could work with your employer’s IT department to check if it’s possible to disable your VPN when you are not accessing sensitive data?

Thanks,

Nacho

Hi,

I tried both WiFi and cable, I mostly use cable and there is difference, honestly.

I am a network admin for a smaller division in the county and o access sensitive information all the time, so there is no way for me to turn it off and it is just not an option overall since it is government.

Would you recommend me to look for another provider to be able to work more or less successfully with vpn? I am paying almost $130 a month for less than 3mbps and it’s definable not worth it for me and currently have to work from office every day because these seeped don’t comrade even the most mundane and simplest tasks in my work environment. I primarily need internet to be able to work from home.

Hi @ninakul91 ,

I’m sorry about your experience.

Could you please run a complete Speed Check test using another device that isn’t connected to a VPN? For example, your phone.

This will help us determine if the VPN is the main issue or if you’re experiencing WiFi problems.

Thanks,
Isabela