Issue with data usage

So it’s possible that the current issue is the Wi-Fi signal?
And how can I get this problem fixed??
Turn DATA SAVER ON!!!
TV and modem are side by side.

This is not Microsoft verified and will not load up.

Hi @jesiekatt62 , apologies.
These instructions should help you: How to Change Streaming Quality on Amazon Prime on TV and Other Devices?

I’ve reactivated your Data Saver with 4.5 Mbps (as you saw buffering on the 2.6 Mbps speeds) – however, this will not affect Amazon Prime Video, so please try to set up the quality on the TV according to the instructions above.

The speeds you’ve gotten on the modem test match the ones we see from our side as well. If the TV is right by the modem but does not get those speeds, then there is most likely a Wi-Fi issue.

As our conversation originally started from an issue with Data Usage, we recommended Data Saver.

Higher speeds will use up your data quickly, but if even without Data Saver you are still experiencing buffering, then we will change the investigation towards this Wi-Fi issue.

This may be why your modem was set to be replaced, so I’m contacting the Field Ops team to better understand this situation.

The link above leads to the Viasat Browser download, rest assured that it is completely safe.

By Microsoft Verified, do you mean that Microsoft Edge is refusing to load it? If you could access the link from another browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, it should load normally.

Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

Can you try to stream from your Windows laptop (ideally standing next to your TV)?

Do you get buffering when you do so?

We’re trying to understand if the issue could also be related to the TV specifically, or affecting every device trying to stream from your Viasat internet.

It is not the TV,
We bought a new TV (not Roku) and it still buffers and uses data unexplainably. No rhyme/reason or pattern of usage.

I set right in front of the TV. Modem is right beside the TV.

The laptop is not buffering right now, I watched Amazon Prime for about 20 minutes.

PLEASE TURN THE DATA SAVER ON!

Hi @jesiekatt62 !

Your Data Saver feature has been turned on since yesterday (see above reply).

Were you able to adjust the video quality settings on Amazon Prime Video?

If your laptop is not suffering the same buffering issues as your new TV, that is good news.

We initially assumed it was the modem’s Wi-Fi signal at fault, but it could be the other way around.

You mentioned the new TV is a Google Philips TV, correct? I’ve researched a bit and it seems those sometimes have bad Wi-Fi/buffering. If you know the specific model (usually a bunch of letters and numbers), we can research further.

Even if the TV is right by the modem, if the TV’s Wi-Fi doesn’t work properly, then you can have all the issues you’ve mentioned.

I know these tests are tiresome, but could you please connect the TV directly to the modem via cable, and then try to stream on any platform again?

Thank you in advance,

Nathalia

Yes we will connect the TV directly to the modem via cable, and then try to stream on any platform again. And let you know
shortly.

You asked me to adjust the video quality settings on Amazon Prime Video.

This is what I have learned.

"Google and Android Smart TV

Since Smart TVs essentially have big screens, people expect only the best output qualities. Thus, whether people are using Amazon Prime Video or any other streaming app, there is no option to choose video quality.

The video quality is automatically adjusted based on internet speed. A fast high-speed connection gives a higher-quality video stream and a slower connection would give a lower-quality video stream.

8am and the internet is buffering already!
Why?

Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

When you open the Amazon Prime Video app on the Google TV and start up any video, do you see a gear button on the top right corner, like :gear: ?

On most devices, this is the manual adjustment of video quality, and we usually put it on the option using less GB per hour, to reduce Data Usage – but like you said, not all devices show this option! :frowning:

Unfortunately, the Data Saver doesn’t yet affect Amazon Prime Video… Our engineers are working on a fix for that as quickly as possible, given this issue with manual adjusting.

Did you see any changes to the Google TV’s buffering while it was connected to the modem via cable? Is it still connected via cable?

Is it only Amazon Prime Video that keeps buffering, or all websites in general?

Is the buffering only present while using Google TV, or is it also present while streaming and browsing on your laptop?

I know this is a bombardment of questions, but if we can pinpoint which app is buffering and on which device, that would help a lot.

Thank you,

Nathalia

Just so that you’ll know. We are on "Amazon Prime Video app on the Google TV and on a video, there is no gear button on the top right corner, :gear:

Hi @jesiekatt62 ,

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, this means your Google Philips TV is one of the devices in which Amazon Prime Video doesn’t allow manual adjustment of video quality – and Data Saver has no effect on Prime Video as of this moment.

Our engineers are working to get it functioning with all streaming providers as quickly as possible.

Regarding the other questions, if you’ve managed to confirm that only Prime Video is the one buffering, or that it’s only on the Google TV that this happens, and your main issues are data usage and buffering – would it be possible for you to stream Amazon Prime Video from your laptop instead of the Google TV?

Your TV probably has an HDMI cable slot, and that can be used to duplicate what you see on the laptop directly to the TV.

We can help you to set up this alternative if you’d like.