Is this as good as it gets?

I have been reading the problems and I have the same one. We just started your service and it is bad. But in all the replies from the support staff, I have never seen a solution, just how to test.
I have downloaded the viasat speed check. The download speed is 26.46Mpbs. The speed from the modem is 186.07. (Ping is 615 and Jitter is 120)
How do I get the speed at my device to equal the speed at the modem?

Hi @chartierwine ,

I noticed from your recent Speed Check test that you are currently connected to the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi signal, indicated by the network name starting with “vsat-24g”. Have you considered connecting your device to the alternative Wi-Fi network broadcasted by your Viasat modem, starting with “vsat-5g”? That frequency can provide better speeds at shorter distances from the router.

Also, the distance between your device and the modem can impact the signal quality. When you get a chance, could you please run another complete speed diagnosis on Speed Check while standing next to the modem?

Thanks,
Isabela

Hi @chartierwine ,

I wanted to check in and see how your experience has been since our last interaction.

I’ve noticed that the speeds from your modem are looking good. Have you been able to achieve improved speeds from your devices as well?

Thanks,
Isabela

I switched my phone to the vsat-5g and it improved somewhat. This morning it is at 56.2 which is double what it has been. I also switched my TV and the streaming does seem better.
I have tested the laptop several times: it is 28.7 this morning which is the best I have gotten. Yesterday it was 16.6. It is still on the vsat-24g, for some reason the vsat-5g does not pop up as an option. Do I need to disconnect for it to appear? If I move closer to the modem the speed does improve slightly. The test also says the speed at the modem is fine anywhere from 146 to 186 depending on the day.
D.

Hi @chartierwine ,

I’ve reviewed your latest Speed Check test results, and it appears there may be a WiFi issue. The speeds from your modem are significantly higher than those on your devices. To better diagnose this, would you be able to connect a device directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable and run a complete Speed Check analysis?

Regarding the laptop, I’m uncertain why the vsat-5g option isn’t appearing. It’s possible that your device doesn’t support it. If you provide me with the model, I can assist you in searching if that is the case. Also, please keep in mind that the 5GHz network has a shorter range, so ensure you’re in close proximity to the modem to access it.

Thanks,
Isabela

Good morning,
I ran a speed test this morning. It was 25.1 at my desk. I connected directly to the modem and it was 19.1 even though the modem speed was 194.
D.

Hi @chartierwine ,

During these tests, were your Wi-Fi connections disabled? I noticed you are using Windows; to disable Wi-Fi, you should click on the “Wi-Fi” option in your network settings.

If this wasn’t the case, please try again following these instructions and let me know. The current test results with a cabled connection disqualify the theory of a Wi-Fi issue, as the difference between the modem speeds and the device speeds remains significant. Therefore, I want to ensure everything was done correctly.

Thanks,
Isabela

I tested this morning and my laptop was 29.1 on wi-fi and 58.4 connected with the ethernet. The speed at the modem was 124.34.
I also tried my phone speed which is on the vsat-5 with it next to the modem and it was 54.0

Hi @chartierwine ,

Your device speeds continue to be significantly lower than the speeds from your modem. Would you be able to run a speed test using speedtest.net with an Ethernet cable connection and share a screenshot with me? This will help ensure that our Speed Check platform is accurately measuring your speeds.

I apologize for any delays in troubleshooting. Rest assured, I’m committed to accurately diagnosing your issue to provide the best possible solution.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,
Isabela