Internet Speed…

I just signed up for Viasat, and had the installation completed at my home today… I signed up for the 50 Mbps/100 GB… The tech/pro who installed it said that it had strong signal. ~4 to 6 Mbps is what the Viasat website says I’m getting. Other sites are confirming that. That’s unacceptable. I understand that it’s advertised “up to 50 Mbps” ; however, barely 10% of what’s advertised is not good business. If better speeds can’t actually be achieved, then I can’t say I’ll be upholding this “contract”…

Hi @Syruws.jason ,

Sorry about that… Probably, the technician saw a strong signal going to your modem, but you’re not seeing the same from your devices over Wi-Fi, so it would be good for us to run a complete speed diagnosis and eliminate all other factors.

When you have the time, can you please run a complete test on https://speedcheck.viasat.com using the Viasat browser?

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.

• After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for My Viasat.

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

Thank you!

Also @Syruws.jason,

Could you check for us please the color of the light coming from the modem? Such as white, blue, purple, etc. – and if that color is blinking or just solid.

Thank you!

Hi Nathalia,

I’m at work right now. I’ll be home this evening. I’ll get on those things you asked and message back.

Thank you,
Jason

1 Like

Nathalia,

[

speedcheck.viasat.com

](Viasat Speed Check | Home)

The results that you asked for while using your browser and signed in… I followed the instructions and it did not give all the information you had mentioned.

I also ran a diagnostic on the machine that I’m using my internet on. It’s diagnostic is below…

To answer your question, the light on the modem is solid blue.

Please let me know if you can help…

Thank you,
Jason

Hello @Syruws.jason ,

I can see from the result attached that you were using the Safari Web Browser, so that may be why.

You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
It also runs on iPhones. :wink:

All right, that’s a good sign! A solid blue light means that your connection is online, and a blinking blue light means that the software is being upgraded.

Thanks! That’s helpful too.

Was that test run at the same time as the one you ran on the speed check website? During the evening, that is.

By the way, I’m running a few tests on my end too, and your modem speeds seem really good at this moment. So when you have the tests available from the Viasat browser, we’ll be able to crosscheck with the speeds from your devices. :slight_smile:

That device was ran at the same time as the phone.

Try this link for the results. Apparently, I copied and pasted the wrong link from the wrong browser.

[

Loading…
speedcheck.viasat.com

favicon.png

](Loading...)

Thanks

1 Like

Actually, when you run the tests from the Viasat Browser, we immediately have access to your results – so you don’t need to paste screenshots or links if you run the test on https://speedcheck.viasat.com with the Viasat Browser.

But you do need to be logged in to the website, as per the instructions.

If you ran the test but didn’t see the part of “Speed from your modem”, that means the browser used is not Viasat or the login was not completed.

Here is a more in-depth guide to run the complete tests:

I’m beyond fed up with this… I have downloaded the Viasat browser on my Iphone. I’m using the browser when I run the test. It is not working properly. I do not get the option to run the modem test. It prompts me to download the damn browser again which I have done multiple times. I’ve signed in and out multiple times. I run the test. I get the same prompt. When I check the results is says I’m using Chrome. I don’t even have Chrome on my phone… see the prompt from the screenshot below… notice that sis your browser format and add blocking. Chrome nor safari look like that… Please advise.

Hello @Syruws.jason ,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Your Gateway modem may be currently using an older firmware version that was found to be incompatible with the full Modem tests from SpeedCheck.

I’m investigating with the Modem team if that is the case, but in the meantime, could I also know the operational system of the iPhone you were trying to run the tests on?

To find the software version installed on your iPhone, you can go to Settings > General, then tap About.

If you have the time, please also try to install Viasat Browser on your computer to run the tests – that way we can eliminate the possibility of your iPhone being incompatible as well.

Thank you!

Nathalia,

It took a really long time, but I was able to download the browser. You should be able to see those results.

My iPhone is operating on IOS version 16.1.1

1 Like

Hi @Syruws.jason , good to know!

I was not aware that the modem tests on iOS don’t work as expected. The team is looking into that issue!

This is why the tests weren’t showing up for me until you ran them on your computer, and why your modem speed was never recorded.

Sorry for the trouble! I can indeed see your latest results now:

If it’s not too much of a hassle, can you try running another few like the one from yesterday, but during the morning and/or afternoons?

Thank you!

Also, we’ve just made some changes to your network configuration, and they’ll be rolled out in full effect to your account about an hour from now. Hopefully, you’ll see the difference in the next few tests!

Thanks,

Nathalia

Nathalia,

Thanks for the update. It seems to be quicker. Except this morning. I ran a couple of those tests the last couple days from my laptop for you. It wasn’t very quick today. It wouldn’t run the modem test from my laptop.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @Syruws.jason ,

These tests during the morning are really weird, they don’t match what we can see on our tools. :frowning:

Do you recall if you were far away from the modem at those times?

It’s great to see a device test with almost 100 Mbps, but, strangely, it’s in between some results of barely 1 Mbps.

Right at this moment, I can see speeds from your modem that match your expected 50 Mbps plan more accurately. So if you weren’t far from the modem, we may be seeing a Wi-Fi signal issue. :thinking:

Is your modem all by itself or does it sit close to other devices?