How low can it go?

By the way @jaydadawnbowden

Do you know how many hours on a daily average streaming apps are used by the household? Even with Data Saver, if the usage happens for very long, a lot of GBs will still be consumed.

This is our table for Speeds vs. Data Consumption:

As you can see, even at the lowest speed of 2.6 Mbps, if streaming is used for example for 8 hours a day, that’ll be about 10 GBs per day on streaming.

In around 2 weeks, that’ll be almost 140 GBs from streaming alone.

I use my Roku device close to 120 hours a week. Another adult in the house uses a Roku smart TV probably 96 hours a week. So yes our streaming is our primary data use. I understand that it is going to use our high speed data very quickly. And to be honest it hasn’t been an issue until I reported this issue with this thread.

I was having no issues streaming on standard data then suddenly the rates dropped off so slow that watching a show became an effort in futility. Literally months went by where we were streaming on standard rates with no problems of any kind. Then one day it became what you have seen. I just don’t understand what changed.

My frustration is that I had a very similar experience with my former provider. I used them for 7 years, not a single problem. Then suddenly my rates dropped to .6 Mbps- 1.5 Mbps during high peak times and when they told me that was the best they could offer me even though I was paying for 6 Mbps well you can guess that I found Viasat. Things were great until they weren’t. And here we are.

Hi @jaydadawnbowden

Do you use all those devices at the same time when you’re all streaming?

Could you run a fast.com from your Roku Smart TV just to double-check if that device is really getting the speed of 2.6 Mbps (and not higher)?

I do not have access to that device and that person is NOT cooperative to helping in resolving the problem. She just runs her tv as background noise not to watch things of interest. I honestly wish I could cut off her TV service but that isn’t an option I can figure out how to do.

When I try to see the devices on the Viasat Shield app it always shows “no devices” even when I am fully aware there are multiple devices logged into the wifi, because I will have my Roku device, my cell phone, my tablet, AND my laptop all logged into the wifi.

There are times when yes both the roku device and the roku TV are used at the same time however that is not the case when I ran the last test.

Hi @jaydadawnbowden ,

did you ever confirm if your setup is using the ARIA router, as shown in the picture?

The Aria (or any external router) is not compatible with Viasat usage, which is why if the Aria is installed it won’t be able to show the connected devices.

As for the fast.com test, could you run it from your phone or computer? We’d like to confirm that the Data Saver is working properly for your connection.

Thanks,
Leonardo

This is from my cell phone with my Roku device running and 3 cellphone on the wifi but nothing else

I am here tonight…just a roku device and 3 cell phones…

Hi @jaydadawnbowden ,

Have you noticed such slow speeds at other periods of the day, such as the morning or the afternoon? We’re trying to verify and eliminate any possibilities about what is causing such speeds.

Thanks,
Leonardo

I only notice the low speeds after 4pm extending to around 2am

Hi @jaydadawnbowden

The Viasat Shield app is not compatible with external Routers of any kind, and as you seem to have the ARIA Router connected to your modem, you will need to unplug the ARIA before accessing Shield.

Just remove the ethernet cable (usually blue, yellow or grey) and the black power cable from the ARIA box:

Issue with what you suggested, I know when they had me hooked up, the Aria was bridged to be the main modem, Even once detached thew standard modem would not click back in and show a signal since it was missing the aria being hooked up.