Frustrating SUPER SLOW SPEEDS

I have been having issues with ny service for several months. We were on the smaller plan but we upgraded to the unlimited plan. We are getting slower speeds than before! I called customer service and was pretty much told that I have to just live with it. With having little speeds, paying over 100$ a month,waiting for 15+ minutes for 1 document to save. Apparently the “supposed other people” in the area are more important than me. Very upset with the service. I did get a tech here to check the equipment. They had to do a slight adjustment but he said that I should be getting a lot higher speeds. He also said that we had great signal. I also work from home and I am afraid I will be loosing my job because of unreliable coverage. I was also told by my works IT that my latency should never be this high. The upload speed of 0.78 mbps is the highest I ever had,but it should be a lot more due to advertising of reliable internet

Hi @angelstacy2006,

Sorry about this experience. I’m taking a look at your account and hope to have an update soon.

Hi @angelstacy2006,

Are you using the Wi-Fi? If you are, could you please run another test standing right next to your modem?

I just ran a test from your modem and can see these speeds below, so you might be experiencing a Wi-Fi issue.

No, that is with an ethernet cable connected to my computer. So there would be no use of wi fi at all. Its a hard link to modem. We did check with some other devices and we get the same speeds. We have no where near that upload speed. The tech that was out on Saturday got the same speeds as we did connected to the wifi. You can call to confirm.

All of my speeds that I have sent are with the ethernet cable.

With wifi next to modem with my work computer

hi @angelstacy2006 ,

From what I can see, all your tests were run at roughly the same time, could you kindly try running tests at different periods of time, such as early morning, late afternoon and during the evening, if possible?

Thanks,
Leonardo

I did install the browser on my computer and ran the test without the VPN. And it still shows no data from the modem. I dont understand how your guys speed is so different from the Ookla test. The speeds from your browser dont seem accurate because it takes about 7-15 minutes to save and open up documents.

As you can see I am not connected to VPN and my modem is not detected

Hi @angelstacy2006 ,

Thanks for running so many tests. I will escalate your issue and follow-up as soon as I have news.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hi @angelstacy2006

Sorry for the delay.

Upon investigation, it’s very likely that your antenna is currently mispointed, or its PTRIA is defective. Do you recall any recent weather events in your area?

Your modem is experiencing a lot of offline events this week, and these might be affecting your connection as a whole.

Your account currently has the add-on “Easy Care”, so we can schedule a service call free of charge, if you’d like.

Alternatively, you can also do this yourself with Customer Care (855-463-9333), or try our self-repoint guide: Can I repoint my Viasat antenna on my own?

By the way, I’d like to point out that some of your tests available on speedcheck.viasat.com were not run over the Viasat network, but rather “NetNet”, such as these:

There are only a handful of those “NetNet” tests, but I thought it’s best to clarify in case we need to check older results :slight_smile:

Regarding you speeds:

I see that all your tests show really good speeds for both download and upload – keeping in mind that Viasat only offers upload up to 3 Mbps, and that Unleashed offers download up to 25-100 Mbps.
For ex.:

It’s possible that what you’re experiencing as slow speeds is actually the modem having frequent drops.

When you ran the tests from OOKLA, were you using any other websites or programs that needed an active internet connection, or only the speed test?

Sometimes tests don’t show our full speed due to the allocation that browsers and other online tools “reserve” for their usage while running the test.

Regarding the latency part:
All Satellite connections have extremely high latency, due to the distance between satellites and the surface of the Earth. This is usually 500ms to 700ms, so your test results (around 600ms) are the average.

Latency usually only plays a big part in real-time communication like Zoom, Microsoft Teams conferences, Google Meet etc., or online gaming.

Are you having issues with any of those applications?
Lastly, do you happen to use any VPNs?

I had my antenna looked at a couple weeks ago and the tech just had to move the dish slightly. He also was getting the slow speeds on his phone that we are getting. I do use a VPN but on half those tests that was turned off. I still couldnt get any information from the modem.

Hi @angelstacy2006

Could you run 2 more tests for us – one using the VPN, and one without, right after the other? Like I mentioned before, your speeds are very good. The high latency doesn’t affect that, as it’s the norm for satellite connections.

Both your upload and download speeds were high in recent tests, so it’s possible the first few low ones are from the VPN interfering.

If the tech previously didn’t repoint the antenna, then it’s also possible that the issue has persisted, as your modem currently has 6x the average offline events that we see from weather and other related incidents.

The 2nd one is without the vpn

Hi @angelstacy2006

Again, both of your tests show very high speeds – even the ones using a VPN.

Considering that your plan (Unleashed) offers download speeds of up to 25-100Mbps, and all Viasat plans offer upload speeds of up to 3Mbps, your results are very good, and totally within range.

image-image

Are you still experiencing internet issues? We might need to investigate if this is on 1 specific device, or across all your devices.