Cannot watch videos

I changed my service to include more data, however when streaming videos it either stutters or doesn’t work at all. I had better results on the cheaper plan. What is the problem? I have plenty of data yet cannot stream a single video. Please help.

Hi @Katiekiss4484 ,

I’m seeing here that your plan change happened at the end of last year, so it is not a recent change. When did you start having these streaming issues?

Also, can you please run a complete speed diagnosis using https://speedcheck.viasat.com? This will help us get a full reading on the speed situation and allow us to identify/rule out Wi-Fi issues.

You can find the complete instructions on how to run it here: How to run a speed test from my modem?

Thanks,
Leonardo

It has been happening the whole time. I have called several times but I get tired of spending my time on the phone. If you can see when my plan changed maybe you can see how many times I have called customer service as well. I have restarted my modem and run the speed check. That is how I found the link to this forum. When I run the speed check it always says my system is fine but my speeds are slow.

I am trying to watch a movie now and it says my download speed is 22 mbps but still no videos will play.

Hi @Katiekiss4484

22 Mbps is very good for streaming – fast enough to watch in high quality.

Are you having this issue with a specific video streaming website/app, or everywhere you try to stream something?

If you have some time, please run for us a fast.com test – this is a tool designed by Netflix to check only your video streaming speeds. It’s possible that there might be a discrepancy between your general speeds and your streaming speeds.

Netflix’s Video Streaming Speed Test:

Go to fast.com on any browser and wait for the test to run. It’ll look like this when finished:

:exclamation: Make sure to click on “Show More Info” to show the rest of the result:

PS: We don’t have access to your fast.com results,

So please copy and paste them here, or send us a screenshot. :wink:

Thank you!

Here is a screen shot and I cannot steam videos at this time.

Hi @Katiekiss4484 ,

We’re investigating and once we have any updates we’ll let you know.

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hi @Katiekiss4484 ,

Could you please let us know if you’re experiencing issues with anything besides videos as well? That can help us pinpoint where the issue might be.

Thanks,
Leonardo

No issues with anything but video.

Hi, @Katiekiss4484,

Another question: Do the issues happen for every video you watch? or does it affect a particular streaming app?

All the streaming Apps are the same. It does seem a bit better lately. I also noticed that the TV closest to the router works sometimes when the one that is in the next room 15 feet away will not, even though it is not separated by a wall. Do I have to use the router provided by Direct TV? I still have the one I used before I upgraded my service and it worked better than the one provided by Direct TV.

Hi @Katiekiss4484 ,

What do you mean when you say the router is provided by Direct TV? If possible, please send a picture of your setup and the other router you’re talking about.

Also, if possible, please run advanced speed checks on speedcheck.viasat.com from a computer or a phone. Make sure you’re following the exact instructions from this post: How to run a complete speed diagnosis?

I’m asking again because we currently cannot see any speed check history, so something went wrong when you ran the advanced speed checks. With these checks, we’ll have access to them and we can verify information such as potential Wi-Fi issues.

Thanks,
Leonardo
Thanks,
Leonardo

Here is the information from my speed check using the link you

The picture above is the modem and router provided by direct tv. The router is the box on the right. I cannot watch videos on either tv at this time.

Hi @Katiekiss4484 ,

Thank you for the picture.

As for the speed check, please note that for us to get every information necessary from it we need you to:

• Download and use the Viasat Browser (this is unavailable for iPhones, so please use a Windows device, an Android device, or a Mac)
  • Login to the Speedcheck website with your My Viasat account

Both of these must be done for the advanced speed check to be run.

Thanks,
Leonardo