Buffering a lot

Viasat Data Saver was activated yesterday, now I have a lot of buffering while streaming. On fast.com it’s showing 2.6 but can’t stream anything.

Hi @darrylphylicia ,

Would you like me to increase your video speed from 2.6 to 4.5Mbps?
This adjustment should reduce buffering and provide a smoother viewing experience, albeit with increased data consumption.

The available speeds are 2.6, 4.5 and 5.5Mbps.

Please let me know your preference.

Thanks,
Isabela

Hello Isabela. Yes please increase it and I’ll see if it helps.

Hi,

Your video rate speed has been successfully increased to 4.5 Mbps.

Please let us know if this adjustment resolves your video quality issues. Also, if you require further adjustments to the speed, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,
Isabela

Good afternoon. It’s working a lot better now. Thank you very much.

Darryl Brown

Good morning. Everything was fine yesterday, now it’s buffering a lot this morning, can’t stream anything. Yesterday on fast com the speed was 11.3, today it’s 7.2. Regular streaming is good, just the live tv streaming I’m having problems with now.

Hi @darrylphylicia ,

I’m sorry about that experience, it seems like your Data Saver was momentarily turned off in our system.

I’ve set you back to the 4.5 Mbps rate. When possible, please confirm this on fast.com.

Thanks,
Isabela

Thank you very much. When I get home this evening, I’ll let you know how it is.

Hi, I’m still getting some buffering but not as much as it was yesterday.

Darryl Brown

Hi @darrylphylicia ,

Have you experienced slow speeds outside of streaming services?

Thanks,
Isabela

Good morning. Surfing the Internet has gotten slower now, live streaming still buffers but not as much.

Hi @darrylphylicia ,

When you get a chance can you please run a complete speed diagnosis using https://speedcheck.viasat.com? This way we can see if you are suffering from slow speeds on your device or maybe having Wi-Fi issues.

Here are some instructions to run the test: How to run a speed test from my modem?

Thanks,
Isabela

1 Like

Hi Isabella,

I’ve completed the speed test as requested. I’m logged into my Viasat account and also using the Viasat browser.

Hi @darrylphylicia ,

Thank you for your cooperation.

Your recent Speed Check result indeed suggests a potential Wi-Fi issue, as the download speed on your device is significantly lower than the speed observed on the modem.

To further investigate this, could you please run more Speed Check tests at different times? If possible, try using another device to see if the results vary.

Also, when you performed this test, was your device positioned far from your router?

Thanks,
Isabela

Hi Isabella,

Ok I will run speed test periodically. I do notice surfing the internet has gotten better the laptop. I still get buffering every once in a while when I live stream but it’s not as often.

As far as the router, it’s maybe 10ft from the laptop.

Hi @darrylphylicia

I see most of the Speed Check tests you ran are indicating a potential Wi-Fi issue.

I noticed you have an Aria Router connected to your modem. To test if the router is the equipment causing the problem, could you please try disconnecting the Aria router and rebooting the modem?

By doing so, your SB2+ modem will function as a router. Subsequently, you can connect directly to it and perform a few additional Speed Check tests. If the connectivity issues cease, it will indicate that switching routers may be necessary.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,
Isabela

Hi Isabela,
Thank you very much. I’m at work right now, but once I get home I will try that and run speed tests again. Thanks again.

Good evening. I rebooted the modem and router. I have my wife’s work/school laptop and the speeds are a lot slower after running another speed test

Good morning. The speeds are tremendously slow this morning with my wife working from home. I’ve rebooted the modem and router last night and ran a speed test a few times. I’d appreciate your help very soon with this matter. Thanks.

Hi @darrylphylicia ,

I apologize for the inconvenience. Would it be possible for you to run a Speed Check test using an Ethernet cable instead of the WiFi (with the WiFi turned OFF)?

Besides that, could you please run one more test now during the morning period? Typically, there’s less network congestion during this time, so this will make it easier to identify any WiFi-related issues without mistaking them for other factors.

Thanks,
Isabela