Awful connection, no “high speed” at all

I know I am going to get the “You probably have used all of your high speed data for the month so it’s going to be slow” reply…. but at what point will it be fast? The first day of the new cycle it is still slow. No streaming, no video games, no high speed ever. It is ridiculous how much money I pay for such awful service. The only response I ever get is basically a “sorry can’t do anything about it. just deal with it”. My husband and I are about to cancel our internet as a whole. We get better service with our streaming platforms using our personal hotspots on our phones. Kinda pointless to spend $100+ every month for such awful “unlimited high speed internet”

1 Like

Hi @thedellingers ,

Sorry for the experience with your internet speed.

In order to investigate this further, can you please run a complete speed diagnosis using https://speedcheck.viasat.com? This will help us get a full reading on the speed situation and allow us to identify/rule out Wi-Fi issues.

You can find the complete instructions on how to run it here: How to run a speed test from my modem?

I’m right there with you. It seems Viasat is purposely throttling everyone so they never see the speed they pay for. I am also on the Unleashed plan that is suppose to get a minium of 20mbps and up to 100mbps download. But I average 2mbps, and that’s at the beginning of the month too, just like you said. We will never see fast speeds with Viasat, no matter what plan we are on. And here’s the kicker, we can’t downgrade our service after switching to Unleashed. We are still with this plan that is costing over $100 per month for basically dial up speeds. It is BS. Such a rip off.

Yess!!! It’s total BS!!! We started with unleashed hoping it would eliminate any issues… boy was I wrong…

Definitely. And they’ll give you every reason in the book on how it’s OUR fault it’s slow. it’s never on them. They will never admit to withholding the promised speed from us. They want us all stuck in the stone age of internet speeds and at the same time charge us for premium. I know if I was able to afford the $650 it costs to get started with Starlink, I would immediately switch to them. No one with Starlink ever drops below 120mbps download. EVER. And you can go through terrabytes and terrabytes of data per month and never get throttled. The only downside to Starlink is that there is no customer support. But so what about that. It’s an easy self install, and the dish is motorized so you just use your cell phone and it points itself. And it’s only $100 per month.

I’m saving up for star link. definitely seems wayyyy more worth it.

Any update?? I posted my speed test.

I will get it when and if I go on SSI.

It seems they really don’t want to admit that their satellites are just too high up there to give us the speeds they advertise. That and the satellites just sit there, so if you drop speed, it’s not like starlink where another satellite will just come into view to pick the speed back up. that’s where Elon has them beat. His satellites are really really low, so the latency is pretty non existent, and they move. And he’s already got 5,000 of them up there whereas Viasat doesn’t have very many at all. Elon will have over 25,000 of them up there when he is done. An actual always moving net of stars in the night sky.

Hi @thedellingers

I apologize for the slow reply.

First, I need to point out that 2 of your tests were actually not run over the Viasat network, but a network called “Cloudflare Inc” – which you can see in the screenshots here:

Also – Do you see that message box saying “Need More Diagnostics? Please the Viasat Browser(…)” on the bottom of all the tests?

That message indicates that either the tests were not run using the Viasat Browser, or that the device running the tests is any kind of iOS such as iPhone, iPad etc. – this means that on all of your tests, we can only see the device speeds, and not your modem’s speeds, to cross-check what’s going on.

We unfortunately do not support iOS devices on speedcheck.viasat.com fully, so if you have any other non-Apple device in which you could run another few tests from, we’d greatly appreciate it. I know this is troublesome, but it does help a lot in identifying issues.

I’ll attach the full Speedcheck guide below in case anything was missed.

Please, follow the guide below and let us know if you experience any issues while testing:

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

By the way, Unleashed is not tied to a strict monthly data allowance. If you have any questions regarding how this new plan works, please give the folks at Customer Care a call: 855-463-9333.

I’m having a look at your setup in the meantime, as your modem is having quite a few offline events this week and this may be directly tied to your speed issue.

I’ll let you know as soon as I have any new information.

Sorry again about the delay in getting back to you, and thanks for your patience!

Hi again @thedellingers

Upon investigation, it’s very likely that your antenna is currently mispointed, or its PTRIA is defective. Do you recall any recent weather events in your area?

Your modem is experiencing a lot of offline events this week, and these might be affecting your connection as a whole.

Your account currently has the add-on “Easy Care”, so we can schedule a service call free of charge, if you’d like. Alternatively, you can also do this yourself with Customer Care at 855-463-9333.

I only own apple devices, so I can not do a check on another kind of device. We have had some rain recently, but no significant storms. The service has been awful since we started, so I don’t think it is related to an mis-pointed satellite. Although, if having someone come out and fix it could potentially help, I am willing to do that.

Thank You,
Katelyn Forsyth

Hi @thedellingers

Understood.

I’m requesting a service call for you due to these issues.

The Field Operations team will contact you as soon as possible using the phone and/or email address associated with your Viasat account – please check if these are up-to-date, when you have some time.