.3 Mbps is not 3 Mbps

At a new home installed Viasat and My upload was working good enough until today has been at .3 Mbps and I have not able to perform my responsibilities because of this Internet speed. I’m a Day Trader and this .3 Mbps is costing me money. Call Customer service and they tell me 3 Mbps is the max, well .3 is not 3 - can a Viasat engineer on this forum research my issue?

It does not matter what time I wakeup to check the speed of my upload .3 Mbps seems to be it. Has anyone else has had this problem and how did you get it resolved beside leaving Viasat?

Hi @eddiejim8282 ,

I’m sorry about your experience.
I see that right now the Upload on your modem is higher than you reported:

When you get a chance can you please run a complete speed diagnosis using https://speedcheck.viasat.com? This will help us get a full reading on the speed situation and allow us to identify/rule out Wi-Fi issues.

Here are some instructions to run the test: How to run a speed test from my modem?

Thanks,
Isabela

PING

ms

JITTER

ms

DOWNLOAD

Mbps

UPLOAD

Mbps

This is what I am getting on Feb 27 at 23:27 PM - can you help me please

The download and upload is from Feb 27 at 3:27 PM est.

Hi @eddiejim8282 ,

Please follow the instructions for a complete speed diagnosis using Speed Check from the Viasat Browser. This way we can better analyse what could be the issue and how to solve it.

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices. If you don’t have an Android mobile device, please run the test on a computer.

Good morning Isabella,

I guess you and I will become good friends… I ran the test this morning and the indications are the same as yesterday and the day before. So, if I run the test after I login, Viasat technician can see the results and I don’t have to copy the results over to the email or to the Forum because the email will be copied to the Forum by your system?

Thanks for the help - greatly appreciated.

PING

ms

JITTER

ms

DOWNLOAD

Mbps

UPLOAD

Mbps

Hi @eddiejim8282 ,

By logging in, all your speed tests will be saved to your account, allowing us to analyze their results effectively.

The reason why I’m advising you to run the test from the Viasat Browser is because that way it will test the speeds from your device (similar to the results you’ve previously shared), but also from your modem, which are particularly crucial for troubleshooting purposes.

Upon reviewing the speeds from your modem, they appear satisfactory on our end. However, to pinpoint any potential issues, we need to conduct a complete speed test. This will help us determine whether the problem lies with your modem or possibly with the connection of your device.

Thanks,
Isabela

Isabela,

I don’t want to waste your time or mine - what do you mean at your end? I’m the customer and the problem is real at my end. .3 Mbps is unacceptable to a Day trader like me that spends his time researching and talking with other traders. So either find a solution to my problem or pass me to someone who can communicate better on why if my upload should be 3 Mbps why is it .3. Does my satellite dish require recalibration? Is it normal to pay for 3Mbps and get .3 Mbps. Thats like going to McDonald to buy a large fries and when you look inside the package there are only 5 fries… Have someone call me that works in Viasat engineering department. My number is 954.465.9034 - thank you…

PING

ms

JITTER

ms

DOWNLOAD

Mbps

UPLOAD

Mbps

Feb 29, 2024 - Viasat speed test numbers

Hi @eddiejim8282 ,

In my previous response, I shared a screenshot of a speed test conducted on your modem. Today, I ran another test, and it continues to show better speeds than what you’ve reported, as you can see in the image.

The variance in speeds between your device and the modem could be due to several reasons. Have you noticed similar discrepancies on other devices as well?

Also, are you using the 5Ghz Wi-Fi signal? This frequency band can provide better speeds at shorter distances from the router.

Regarding your request for a call, unfortunately, our current protocol doesn’t allow for phone support.

Best regards,
Isabela

I want a service call to my home so that your technician can figure out why you show 4.5 and I show .3. Can you schedule it or do I have to talk to another person? I still getting 5 fries from you… Provide me the phone number to call for service.

Hi @eddiejim8282,

Sorry about these bad upload speeds.

We have run tests from your modem a couple of times now, and we continue to see that your modem is getting good upload speeds. You antenna signal quality looks good too, so I suspect that you might be experiencing a Wi-Fi signal issue.

Are you using the internet over the Wi-Fi? The complete speed diagnosis that Isabella recommended running can help confirm a Wi-Fi issue. But that one requires you being on the Viasat Browser and logging in with your My Viasat credentials, so as an easier alternative could you please stand right next to your Modem + Router and run a simple speed test to see if the speeds are better?

Thanks,

Nacho

I see you also asked for the support number, here you go: 855-463-9333

The actual benefit is that by being on the Viasat Browser and logged in, our https://speedcheck.viasat.com/ app can grab the unique identifier on your modem and thus be able to run a complete speed diagnosis that shows:

• The speeds that your device (laptop or phone) is getting
  • The speeds that your modem is getting
  • Additional metrics related to the satellite signal

If you don’t use the Viasat Browser and don’t log in, we can only see:

• The speeds that your device (laptop or phone) is getting

Good morning Nacho,

Thank you for your emails. Do you recommend me getting a technician here so that he can reduce the time of me and you spending on troubleshooting my problem with Upload speed.

I thought the same thing about have a WiFi speed issue so I have a different laptop that I connected directly to the router the speed test results are the same with the WiFi power cord disconnected.

I have provided to you two speed check this morning. The first test is on WiFi and the second test is on LAN with WiFi power cord disconnected. I hope this help.

The reason why I need my Upload speed to be as closes to 3 Mbps is that I’m a Day Trader - trading stock, options, and FOREX.

Hi @eddiejim8282 ,

I’m sorry about your experience and I understand the importance of having fast internet, especially for your day trading activities.

Upon reviewing the information you provided, it appears that the issue may not be related to WiFi connectivity since you’ve tested the speed with a direct LAN connection and experienced similar results.

I noticed you have an Aria Router connected to your modem. To test if the router is the equipment causing the low speeds, could you please try removing the Aria router and rebooting the modem?

This way your SB2+ modem will work as a router. So, if the connectivity issues stops, it will mean that a router switch is necessary.

Thanks,
Isabela

Good morning Isabela,

I did as instructed. First, I remove the WiFi from power and disconnect the LAN. Then, I reboot the Satelite Modem and waited for the modem light circle to turn blue. Then, I connected my laptop to the LAN and ran the speed test and the results are the same.

Should I get a service technician to test the upload speed at my end? It is important for he or she to know what is going on. Waiting your reply…

Hi @eddiejim8282

I tried to find your results but I see that you were unable to run a full speed diagnosis so we can crosscheck Modem vs. device speeds and investigate if your low upload speed is a Device issue.

If you’re certain that you ran speedcheck.viasat.com while logged in to the Viasat browser, could you send us the screenshots? Please keep in mind that iPhones unfortunately don’t work with the modem test, so this may be why your results aren’t showing.

If you don’t know how to run the full test to crosscheck device and modem speeds, please follow the guide that my colleagues sent you. I’ll repost it here:

Unfortunately, our team cannot request service calls without an inherent issue in a customer’s setup, so the full Modem vs Device test would be immensely helpful for us and you. That way, we can confirm if you have a Wi-Fi issue, a distance issue, or other underlying causes. :slight_smile:

However, I do see that you have the add-on “EasyCare”, so if you still wish for a tech visit, you can call Customer Care at 855-463-9333.