1,200 ping on online games and can barely watch Netflix

Started a account and got my satellite and modem installed today went to play online games couldn’t had 1200 ping the entire time then tried watching Netflix could barely watch that for $120 a month and I can’t do anything online this has to be fixed asap or I will be canceling my account anyone know how to fix the crazy ping and slow speeds?

Hi @Zainmatthew12,

I’m sorry to hear about this bad experience you’ve had with the Viasat service.

I found your account in our system and I hope to come back with updates soon.

Thank you,
Avner

1 Like

Hi @Zainmatthew12,

Can you confirm to me if your modem is turned on and connected to the internet?

I’ve been trying to run a speed test from your modem but your system seems to be offline. I want to know if that’s really the case on your side or if it’s something in our tools.

Thank you,
Avner

Yes it’s online and it’s connected to the internet

Hi @Zainmatthew12,

Sorry for the slow reply,

First, about your ping, unfortunately, it’s normal for satellite connection to have higher latencies from 500ms to 700ms on average, due to the distance from the satellite to the ground. We can investigate it further to analyze if yours is constantly higher than normal but it is important for you to know that higher latencies are expected on a satellite connection, you should also try an ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi for better performance.

Besides that, I’ve run a speed test from your modem earlier today and I see good results:

I know this may not represent the experience you’ve been having since you mentioned not being able to stream. For that, I’d like your help in analyzing your network behavior.

Please, follow these steps:

• You can download the Viasat Browser here: https://browser.viasat.com/.
  • After you install the browser, you need to be logged in on speedcheck.viasat.com.
    • To do that, click “Login” in the upper right corner of the menu, as indicated in the picture below.
    • The credentials for this login are the same as the ones you use for MyViasat.

When you run the tests from the Viasat browser, we can see “Speed from your device” and most importantly “Speed from your modem”, which is greatly useful to identify discrepancies in the speeds, such as in this example below:

I know this is a bit more cumbersome than just running a normal test, but the complete diagnosis helps us eliminate other factors.

:exclamation: The Modem Speed Test is currently not compatible with iPhone/iOS devices.

Furthermore, since you mentioned streaming issues, I’ll ask you to run a few tests on
https://fast.com, and take a few screenshots for me too. This specific website is powered by Netflix and can reproduce the same speeds you’d have while streaming.

Once you complete these steps, please report back to us.

Thank you,
Avner